Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 & XP SP2 lockup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mragain

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
I'm hoping someone may have come across the answer to this problem. I have several machines, less that 1 year old, that after updating to SP2 the limited users on the machine keep locking up while in IE. I can repeat the issue simply by going to Google, which comes up fine, searching on any term and then trying to follow one of the links. As soon as any link is clicked on IE hangs.

I've tried several search engines with the same result each time. The only solution I've found is to elevate the limited user to a Power user level. For security reasons I can't have this be the permanent fix. This issue has repeated itself on machines that I've done a clean install of windows XP SP2 on as well as machines that merely upgraded to SP2 from the download site.

The machines range from 1.2 ghz to 2.6 ghz all with 256 meg of ram.

Thanks

SP2 puts a pop-up blocker into IE. I get the same hang when I click on a link. You have a choice to accept or deny the pop-up. Check your settings by clicking on Tools>Pop-up Blocker Settings.

spool

Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with his experience.

using gpedit.msc I've turned off the pop-up management. There were too many sites the users were going to that blocking pop ups would cause problems. The hang comes not when a pop-up is supposed to open, but following any link off of a search engine site. Many game sites work just fine that use pop-ups to launch the game the kids have chosen.

Would you please elaborate more on what the "gpedit.msc fix" means. I am having trouble with a computer that appears to be blocking way too many things in IE6 with the toolbar (WinXP Home SP2) and would like to turn the whole mess off. Even when I go into the Internet Options and turn off the toolbar, it still seems to re-appear and casue problems.

Jeanne

In IE, Tools, the second item is Pop-up blocker. You can use this to disable it quickly.

gpedit.msc fix is only available with XP Professional. It is considered as too advanced an item for XP Home. Gpedit is merely Microsofts Group Policy Editor. Using it you can customize a wide variety of XP's behavior including disabling the pop-up management it IE.

With XP Home the main way to turn off pop-up management is in Internet Options. If it keeps turning back on you could try setting the registry entry manually and see if it helps. The path is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New Windows\PopupMgr

Set that registry key to 'no' and it should have the same effect as turning it off in Internet Options.

By far the easiest solution for me was installing Mozilla and relegating IE to only those sites that absolutly have use it. I have had no problems with either Mozilla or Firefox on my XP Home machines, both of which are also running SP2. My incidence of spy/adware have also gone down dramatically since IE was deselected as my primary browser. Sorry to sound like a Mozilla commercial but I am sold on these two browsers and their lack of attendant problems.

Jim W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back