Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 won't load certain pages on Win98 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lofisamuri

Technical User
Oct 8, 2003
US
Sorry if this question has already been posted, but I'm relatively new here. Not really a tech person, but I run a few computers at my office.

I recently did a Windows update for IE6, running on Win98 system. Now I have a very difficult time opening some browser pages, and most links in emails wont work either.

Please help me. I'm not sure if I need to revert back to an older version of IE, and if so not sure how to go about that either.

Thank you in advance!

The most likely fix is going to be doing the following:

Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

But, if that fails, follow out the rest of the instruction in the article posted above.

carrr,

thanks for the advice. i've done as mentioned in the support article, even so far as to check my registry keys.
i do notice an improvement on speed of opening the browser window, and hitting a hyperlink in an email also works now.

but i still seem to have some issues on selected websites...and these are clients homepages, newspapers/magazine sites etc.

looks like i'll be reinstalling IE and call it a day!

thank you very much carrr for your help. i greatly appreciate your expertise.

as stated, im not really a tech by profession, but by necessity. most of this info is rather foreign to me and apologize if this issue was covered before.

Just a thought, you didnt mention if you are running any popup stoppers or other programs that affect IE. If you are running such progs you might want to check the parameters there.

garebo,

actually i do have AnalogX POW! running as my popup killer. i checked the sites to block, but do not see any of my clients pages on the block list. i've also stopped the program from blocking, and still have trouble accessing selected client sites.

i'll keep checking before i reinstall again. much rather upgrade my whole system to xp.

thanks for all the help everyone! really appreciate it.

well, i finally think i found out my problem. did another virus scan from and found a virus not found by my symantec.

this file has a backdoor trojan attached, not sure if i can delete it safely or not.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBCCR320.exe

if anyone can direct me on this, my problems may hopefully be over soon.
thanks again to all your support carrr and garebo!

BINGO!!

Thank you very much Carrr. The trojan removal program you recommended worked like a charm. It actually found several trojans that my symantec has not found....ever.

I've already recommended this forum to several of my friends who deal with tech issues as well, you all have been very helpful!

here's the kicker for this situation:

one of the other office computers was having the same problem, but he runs XP. so i checked on here for more details on his OS, went through same checks as noted above.

finally, i decided to contact my service provider to see if they are reporting any problems.

long story short, we shut down our whole office, disconnected our router, waited.

once we booted back up, everything worked.

tell ya what tho, i'm glad i went through all my steps, or i'd still have those pesky trojans.

IE 6 is designed for whidows XP NOT!!! 98 so you should go back to ie 5.

if you have been told this SORRY!

brendonia

How do you remove IE 6.0 and reinstall 5.5?

Go to add/remove programs and choose IE as if your removing it.
It then should come up with another screen that gives you the ability to repair or revert back to the prior version

if that doesn't work let me no.

brendonia,

Be careful with that tip...IE 6.0 is fully func1tional on Win98 machines, ME machines, and 2k machines as well.
We run 150+ machines with 6.0 without a hitch.
6.0 WILL NOT run on 95, however.
If the user is ahving problems, they should post them in the browser issues forum before meddling with uninstalls of IE, as they can cause many problems being that IE is so integral interwoven with the OS.

To further my point, from the M$oft web page...:

"Internet Explorer 6 is a set of core technologies in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional, and is available to users of Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Microsoft Windows NT® Workstation 4.0, and Windows 2000 Professional operating systems. Internet Explorer 6 includes many new and enhanced features that can simplify the daily tasks that you perform, while helping you to maintain the privacy of your personal information on the Web."

"Internet Explorer 6 SP1 is the most recent version of the Internet Explorer 6 core technologies in Microsoft Windows® XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional. Internet Explorer 6 SP1 provides a private, reliable, and flexible browsing experience for users of Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows NT® 4.0 Service Pack 6a."

And again:

From system requirements:

"Operating System Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows NT® 4.0 with the high encryption version of Service Pack 6a (SP 6a) and higher, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
Memory For Internet Explorer 6 SP 1:
RAM requirements depend on the operating system used

Windows 98:
16 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 11.5 MB

Windows 98 Second Edition:
16 MB of RAM minimum
Full install size: 12.4 MB"

o rite. when i hade a similer problem i was told to remove IE6 bak to IE5.5 cos it doesn't run on 98.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back