Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipeca

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2007
US
A little background - I have just recently taken over as the Technical Director for a small school district after a 2.5 year stint as a Unix Admin for Travelocity. Unfortunately I was given a cold handover so I'm left trying to figure out the network on my own.

The question - I have a domain user who is unable to connect to the internet. The desktop is an XP sp2 and it's running IE6. This problem seems to be isolated to the own user on her desktop. I have noticed that when IE tries to connect it flashes a 127.0.0.1 address in the lower left corner. I have checked the group policy on the server and the group policy on the desktop, but have found nothing. Is there something I've missed? I was under the impression that group policy couldn't directly prevent IE from connecting to the net.

My next step is to use the user account on a different computer to determine if it's a network group policy or something on the local machine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been banging my head against the wall for 2 days on this one and would be better spending my time learning the network and addressing other issues.

Thanks.
Ipeca

Check Internet Options, Connections tab, Lan Settings button - make sure not proxy server is set (if you're not using a proxy server).

Given that with an address of 127.0.0.1, IE6 is trying to connect to the said pc (ie the network card) and not the internet, check if the computer 'thinks' it should connect directly to the internet instead of through a network. Have you run ipconfig /all from the command prompt?

I've checked the proxy settings, and they are the same as the other nearby computer. I forgot to mention that other users who sign in to this one desktop have no problem connecting to the internet. It's why I believe it is something to do with the one user profile.

I'll run the ipconfig /all, thanks I had forgotten all about that switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back