Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 will not close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyvs

Programmer
May 20, 2001
CA
Here's one for you. I am using a Dell Laptop loaded with XP Pro. Lately I have not been able to shut any IE6 windows. It rings an error bell and stays open. Everything works except that any IE6 window will not close. I am current with all updates and I do not have any troubles with any other window or application. It doen't matter how you try to close the same result occurs with each method. (X OR File>Close, Right Click and close, ALT F4... Same result) The only way it can be closed is by restarting or CTRL-ALT-DEL and end task. Even then it comes up with a "NOT REsponding" message and "END NOW" before after a minute or so it actually closes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times including deleting all registry keys with the same result. Any idea's cause I have ran out!

I came across a virus which had this effect - sorry I can't remember any more details than that tho'!

It's probably worth virus-scanning your machine: forum760 - General Virus discussion Forum may help.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I should of mentioned this but I have scanned it with Mcafee and Online Virus scan from Trend Micro. It came up clean each time. I also used Spy Bot to remove anything that might be a problem and came up clean as well. I run the complete McAfee suite including privacy service, Personal Firewall, and Anti-Virus. I have tried to disable all of these to make sure they weren't causing any trouble as well as disabling all entries in startup using msconfig. The problem still existed. I have searched MS Knowledge base and came up with nothing specific. I am out of ideas!

perhaps repairing IE?
(go to control panel --> add/remove programs --> try to remove IE: you will get the option to repair it).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Carrr

Followed the instructions you recommended and still have the same problem. Not sure where to go next? Any other ideas?

it could possibly be a rogue active-x control / BHO (Browser Helper Object).

faq608-3482 has some information & tools for removing / disabling BHOs... plus some anti-spyware tools you may like to run!

Well well well. It is interesting what you can find. It turned out the problem was a BHO. Specificaly &quot;iexplorr22.dll&quot; When I disabled it everything started to working correctly. Thanks for all the help everyone.

IE6 should have some kind of controls built in to allow you disable BHO. Thankfully there are third party products out there.

Xp is very touchy. I would recommend that you do an add and remove programs and remove the IE all together. Then check the registry to make sure that its all gone and then reinstall the IE all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back