Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 Shuts Down upon clicking icon! (Kazaa Conflict?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabmediagroup

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
US
Recently, I was surfing the net and stumbled across a page that was no longer active! Kazaa placed something in my browser that makes broken links redirect the browser to Lop.com. However, just recently I had a broken link and was redirected and tried to click all of the pop-ups and annoying items off of my PC. Now, when I go to load IE 6 on my PC, (Windows XP Home Edition), it will load like normal; and then within seconds it will close the browser. There is NOT one error message or software problem! I think Kazaa has placed something in my registry. Now the other users on the XP are not effected by this mishap, only my login. I tried to repair IE 6 and reinstalling the program. Has anyone had this happen to their machine? Can anyone help me out? This may be the NEW curse of having Kazaa on your machine! Thanks for any help! Dennis (dennisbranch@cableone.net)

Ash, thank you for your tip! I did uninstall Kazaa and placed Ad-aware on my system. I had Ad-aware do an entire scan and removed all files that it provided in the list. However, I am still having the same issue with that particular login id within Windows XP. Again, when I click on the IE 6 icon, and/or the direct ".exe" file from the Program Files folder, it will open the browser for a brief second; then it closes without any error message(s) at all! It must be something deep within my registry or either some very NEW virus via the Kazaa family of scum!

I tried going to the Control Panel and removing IE 6, also trying to repair it! Nothing worked! Also, I realized that you can't totally take the IE browser off the system within XP. Even though I uninstalled IE 6 in the Add/Remove Programs, it kept the browser there! Do you recommend anything else? I would just delete that user name off of XP, but it is my Admin account and holds the most valuable stuff to me and my business. There has to be something minor causing this IE 6 browser to close upon opening the file EVERYTIME! I downloaded Netscape off of another login, and placed it in the Share Folder. (To surf while I fight the battle with my IE 6 dilemma!)

Again, thanks for your help! The only thing I have not done is install Kazaalite! Thanks!

Dennis (dennisbranch@yahoo.com)

--
"ASH" WROTE:

Remove Kazaa its pure scum-ware

Install Ad-aware and remove everything from the system
Install Kazaa Lite
Ash.

In response to your post about your browser crashing all of a sudden.I have never installed that Kazaa garbage on my system,so I know for a fact that is not the problem.I also have XP Home and it was doing that quite a bit for awhile.My problem went away after removing AD SHIELD from my browser and and changing the settings on it.While connecting to different sites,this program was closing the browser due to ads,banners,pop ups,and whatever else.After removing this from my browser,I have not had any problems.I have since re-installed it using just the basic settings and still no problems.If you have any type of POP UP protection running,remove it and change settings before re-installing and that should be the end of your problem.This used to happen to me at least 5 or 6 times a day on certain links and pages,but not any more.I used to have alot of problems also with my configuration of Black Ice conflicting with my browser till I took the time to learn how to use it.Let me know how this works out for you,since it has solved my exact same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back