Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 quirk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNorris2000

Technical User
Nov 10, 2000
US
I maintain a web page and something strange has happened.
Upon publishing my pages I called up the url in IE6 the
page came up but there were items missing (clickable tabs near the top. Other page content did display above)from my view there was not even an "X" It was like I designed it that way I called someone to view the page on their pc and the page looked fine. I had them verify to me the new page additions I had made. I cleared out cache and tried again. Same problem. What has happened? Running on ME op system I also reinstalled IE6 but problem still exists.

was your friend useing IE also?

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Do you use a firewall such as Zone Alarm? If so disable it and see if that is doing it.

Jim

Spybot may cause this behavior if the missing item is an advertisement or something.

Yes he was using IE6 , also brought it up at work on IE6 and it looked fine. I did disable Norton internet security, but it didnt make a difference. I did recently add a linksys wireless router which I believe has a built in firewall. I will poke around in that. I guess I have a hard time believing that a firewall would have and a problem with some tabs on a page. Maybe the whole page but a specific part? I guess stranger things have happened

Well, what I was thinking about was the pop-up stopper feature in Zone Alarm. It was doing some weird things like that on my web page until I disabled it. It was just a thought.

Jim

well for one thing we know it is isolated to your specific browser and not others (it worked on mine IE 6.0 also). yes, it would be nice to fix but not needed. have you tried installing netscape or any other browser? have you deleted all "offline content" as well as the temp files?

[americanflag]

I did clear out all offline content , history, cache , cookies,.... Can't say that I'm missing anything from any other web site but mine. This is just plain strange.

yes, i would have to agree. very strange.....

[americanflag]

hopefully you're not using AOL as your ISP - they cache web pages, and any updates may not be available through their servers until they bother to update

hey, good point, madonnac! the same if you are useing a different isp. you may need to see about clearing the ISP cache. if on a network proxy ask the admin. if a ISP you can request it but that probably won't on request. it SHOULD clear automaticly after a couple days.

[americanflag]

to bypass the webcache - if it's a static html page - append ?1234njkn3 to the end of the URL...
( ? followed by a random alphanumeric string)

the ? seperates out the URL from a dynamic input - the cache thinks it's a completely new page (so gets a fresh version) - but the server doesn't recognise the ? so it simply gives out the normal page.

eg:
obviously this won't work with a site like TekTips, which makes active use of the ? to dynamically construct the page.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

In reference to:
&quot;hopefully you're not using AOL as your ISP - they cache web pages, and any updates may not be available through their servers until they bother to update&quot;

I don't use AOL, I use Ameritech dsl. If it had to do with the ISP not updating their servers would it not be available to anyone viewing the page? As it is now the page can be viewed with my recent updates intact. I am just missing some tabs across the top. Other Pc's have no trouble with any of the content

does ameritech use proxy?

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

Not sure. It has been called up successfully on another PC via Ameritech IE6

ok, then thats that. its still a very wierd problem.

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back