Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 problem ---------------------- 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaniDak

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
Hi
I'm using XP Pro SP1, IE 6.0 and dial up connection, which
has been working fine until today.I can connect to the Internet with no problems, but I cannot access any pages or send e-mail. Offline is unchecked in IE. My other 2 computers access the Internet with no problem, so something must be wrong with the computer not the connection itself.
I tried everything, even did a System Restore back to couple of weeks, nothing.
But I did find some spyware that i removed this morning, which were not there yesterday.
I was wondering if the spyware could have anything to do with me not being able to access any pages on the Internet.
Remember I did remove it and also have did a system restore.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

After connecting to the internet, run
start menu
run
type cmd
type ipconfig /all

Verify that their is a DNS server specified the network connections. Usually that is the reason why you cannot locate any web pages; if the DNS server is invalid or one isn't available.
Also verify your firewall configuration to see insure that ports 80(http) and 53(DNS) isn't block.
The firewall settings are located under the properties of the dial up connection.

Hope this gives you some insight on your problem and allows you to connect to the internet again.

Thanks for your reply aSugerBE,
The ports are not blocked, so it shouldn't be that.
There is also a DNS server, it's the same as my other computers, which do not have any problems accessing pages.

any other suggestions....

Thanks

This probably won't help, but its a shot in the dark. A possible problem is that you do not have cookies enabled. Some sites do not authorize access if your cookies are disabled. Although, the page usually brings up an error such as "not authorized to view this page". I'll look more into it to see what I can find...get back to you tonight if the problem hasn't been addressed yet.

I'm on my break...this IE 6 problem has been buggin me all afternoon. Just need a little bit of information...Have you updated I.E. 6 SP1? Also, what version is your Div-x or DirectX drivers? Get back to ya later tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back