Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 or 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjmattson

MIS
Dec 16, 2001
US
We are currently running IE 5.01 on our Windows 2000 professional computers. Some newer apps are now requiring that IE 5.5 or higher be installed. Once again it is time to upgrade the corporate standard.

I would like to know what experience others have had with these browsers. More than anything, I want the workstations to be stable but I also don't like to play catch up. In the past we have prefered to wait until the first service pack is available before deploying a new browser.

Any real world advice would be appreciated as well as any information about a service pack release for IE 6. Kevin Mattson
MCP

I don't like IE, almost every day you find new stuff to fix it. Why don't you try Netscape 6.2 ? It is stable and you can use it for a long time before you have to move to next SP.

Unfortunately that won't work. Quick books requires that IE 5.5 or higher be installed and so does the NAVCE system console as well as Millenium32 (controls labratory equipment). As long as the other software vendors are requiring IE then we are stuck with it. Kevin Mattson
MCP

Go with IE5.5Sp2, I have had problems with 6.0 (and you have to remove the OS to get rid of this, as there is no uninstall.)

Alex

About IE 6 and IE 5.5
I had installed IE6 on a machine. Then found it couldn't open some of the links. Yet, 5.5 on another machine had no problem. I since learned that IE 6 doesn't support Java. So I had to reinstall 5.5 which uninstalled 6. Somewhere I heard that you can go to Sun site and download a Javascript reader, but haven't check it out. Hope this helps
Patstan

I have had no problems with IE6 on any OS (98/nt4/2k) you have to enable Java in the options I thought (not sure)

Another issue is that there are "unpatched" security flaws in 5.5, the fix for which is to upgrade.

I was running IE 5.5 on Win2K for months without any problems. Upgraded 1 PC to IE 6 and the browser crashes once or twice a week.

I also use Netscape (company policy) and find it very unstable. Stick to IE 5.5 if you can. Ó¿Õ¬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back