Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 on WindowsNT cipher strength 0bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentBob78

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
CA
I have recently run into a problem using IE on one of the computers at work where you couldn't access secure web pages. I tried to download the update at the link displayed in the "about internet explorer". I got a error message that told me I needed IE 5.5 or 6, so i installed IE 6 everything went fine until the reboot I got these messages during the Secutity portion :

"CAPI: the install failed, the rsabase.dll that is being installed doesn't match the signature file or the value in the register."

"An error has occured while setting up "C:\WINNT\System32\rsaenh.dll". This error has been logged, the installation will continue."

I have tried to install the High Encryption Pack alone afterwares but didn't have any better luck with it.

If anyone can give me any help with this i'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks CMASPE I would of though that those microsoft support guys would've kindly directed me to that page themselves in the 4 times they had me going around in circles,just to tell me to contact the retailer where we got windows from.I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well I tried everything microsoft suggested I do but I still get cypher strength 0bit. I tried downgrading back to 5 and then upgrade to 5.5 then 6, still no help. The message i get from CAPI makes me think their's something wrong in the registry.

If anybody's ever seen this type of message before I could use some help.

Hi SilentBob78

Not much info to go on here, you being such a silent type and all but try upgrading your NT service pack to SP6a. If this is even a NT install that is?

This sounds like is a version conflict between the signing tools and the Microsoft CryptoAPI. Microsoft Authenticode issue perhaps.

Thanx for the tip DaDog, but WindowsNT service pack 6a is already installed. Unless you meant re-intalling it which I might as well try, i'm pretty much running out of ideas.

Could this error be because of Advapi32.dll, I ran across that file reading a microsoft support page, i seem to recall it saying that an error can occur in the installation of IE 6 if you don't have a higher version of Advapi32.dll than 4.5XX.XXXXX. Thing is how do ya upgrade that file?

File: Advapi32.dll is a Advanced API call file library. I think it is installed with Internet Explorer as it is in its cab files.

Win98 & IE 5.01 with 128 bit encryption has v4.80.1675.
Win Me & IE 5.5 128 bit has v4.90.0.3000.
Win 2000 Advanced Server IE 6: v5.0.2195.2867
Win 2000 Pro & IE 6: same ver as Advanced Server.

So it looks like if you want the proper version of that file try just Uninstall/Re-Installing Internet Explorer. If prompted with the "A file been copied is older than" message just answer no and carry on.

NT has the system file checker does it not? You can update system files with that tool as well.

Well I got the cypher strength to 128bits, I ended up checking the language of the version of rsaenh.dll it was in english and the IE on the computer that i'm trying to fix is in french, i just found another computer here that works in french to and copy/pasted rsaenh.dll onto the other computer and ran the file using rgsrv32.exe and installed the high encryption pack (the long way) and bang i check the About Internet Explorer tab and cypher strength = 128bits.

Problem is i still can't access secured pages, I checked the ssl 2.0 and 3.0 and tls 1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back