Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 nearly locks up over a single pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspergrl

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hi there, for several months now I've been having a problem where if I go to a site with even a single pop up the window which is instigating the pop up hangs for several minutes (5-7 at the most, 2-3 at the least). It doesn't seem to be a problem if I have only one browser window open but being a developer I usually tend to have several. No more than 7 or 8 at a time. I have approx. 512MB of ram if that is in any way related and am on a Win 2k machine. I do have the IE 6 svc. pk 1 installed. Thanks in advance!!

I have a similar problem to this, except I am running WindowsXP with the IE 6.0.2800....
I am a network engineer so therefore have my laptop connected to many different network. I ONLY experience this problem when going through a proxy (On a Novell Network), so therefore it is not server related. (My delay is about 2mins, not 7). I do not use the Automatically Detect settings feture of IE. I have been through the MS site but found no TID's. I have gone through other tek-tips threads but to no help.

It's an un-usual problem, as, from what I have seen can be caused by many differnt problems... my suspicion at the moment is it is possibly caused by a removal of a program, possibly SpyWare or something similar. The hard part is to find out what program.

I'ld like to hear some more thoughts on this problem.

Well, the easy approach is to download either SpyBot or AdAware from a google search and run, sweeping your pc for spyware. Now that you've got a clean slate, check out what's running in the background. Alternately shut down each app until you've either exhausted your list or pinpointed the culprit. Post back if this/these are not the issue....

I'm going through a proxy as well... my home machine is not and doesn't have this problem either... But several coworkers of mine do not have the problem thought they're on basically the same setup...

Carrr,

Thanks mate. Although i doubted that this would be the problem, (as i THOUGHT i had a clean system), it worked. I Downloaded Adaware and cleaned 165 known files. I retried opening IE6 and it opened instantly.

CasperGrl, Download and run Adaware (free program) and see if it makes a difference. Let us know your result. Thanks again Carrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back