Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 locks up when a new window pops up or is opened 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacrolix

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
I am running Windows XP and IE 6 locks up/freezes everytime I right click to open in new window command/internet ad pop up/or a site I am browsing link causes a new window to pop up. I am pretty sure it has something to do with my registry. The last thing I recall doing was using Lavasoft's Adware to remove all the spyware I had on my pc after I had uninstalled Kazaa. Like the idiot I am at times didn't do a back up. after that the problems started to occur. the new window will appear and start loading the images/text but stop all together after a few seconds along with the first window. I have read the lenghty thread of "Can't Open a New Window" and tired all the regserv32 commands for the .dll files and they all go through sucessfully but my problem still persists. I have heard about repairing IE but am not totally clear on how to do that. any help would be appreciated. :)

I run Windows2000 Pro with IE5. I faced the same problem (IE getting stalled when opening a new webpage/window) even without upgrading to any new version of IE. All of a sudden I started having this problem. After much frustration and meddling with IE settings, I created a new user and enjoyed browsing at the usual speed. Now, I've found the culprit. It's a problem with the Google Toolbar. After I installed the toolbar for the new user, I started getting this problem, and it was confirmed after going through the posts in this thread.
Uninstalling Google toolbar restored life. Hope this works for all!

I am having the same situation with IE6 and Office XP. All other applications load and run fine but IE, Outlook Express and all Office XP apps take 30-45 seconds to load. It almost appears like the system is locked up, but all eventually load and appear to run fine after they load. Even after loading and then closing and opening them up again right away takes forever. Please help.

hi guys ive followed this thread since i had a problem with internet explorer not loading for 50 secs or so
i tried everything u guys have said to no avail
i found this site and went thru all the "parasites" and found 9 things that could have been causing it, i never installed or downloaded any of them but they were there, especially "favouriteman" which is a absoloute pain in the ass

this worked for me and its well worth a look just to see what 3rd party crap is installed
tip , never install winmx or imesh
there the work of the devil
xp pro user

i figured it out. i used to have the same problem opening new window by right clicking on a link or pop ups would not open,
here is the answer. go download the newest sun java and it will work, i have worked on this all day today and finally got it
YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!
goodluck.

i have made a fix for this problem that you can find at its a small batch file and its easy to use. just open it close all IE windows and follow the instructions
it worked for me!!!!!!!!
tell me how it works for you mariodogg@email.com
i'll come back to see how its doing soon

I had the problem with Win2K SP3 and IE6. It was after installing the Downloads > Critical Updates

May 2002: Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (Q321232)
that I began to have problems with the browser just exiting without error. A few times I got the Microsoft error notification and sent the info. No response from Microsoft.
This thread has solved the problems. I ran the batch file from to register the DLL's and then installed the newest version of SUN JAVA VM from here, All is working fine now......Should I cleanup with Norton now?.....Yeah I'm game......

Thank you all..........

IE seems to work faster and is more stable but the darn thing still crashes/vanishes from my system without a warning periodically. It took much longer to get it to crash this time so I figure I'm on the right track and no harm done....Yes I ran NU again...Maybe that is the problem. Yhe fixes didn't have anything to do with IE though!

Hi Guys,

I had a very similar problem - I'm running IE6 in Windows ME. When I double clicked on the IE6 icon on the desktop it waited around 30 seconds before loading. Also everytime I clicked on a hyperlink it waited 15 seconds before loading.

To solve it I went Start> Run> regsvr32 shell32.dll

Now it loads instantly.

Thanks for all your help,

Adam

[afro2]

Hi everyone,

Just spent a day trying to fix a long delay on launch and 15-30sec delay after page loaded. I am on XP with IE6. Turns out to be a problem with BHOs (Browser Helper Objects). Fantastic tool at :

which enables you to turn on and off adware elements.

Sorted me out straight away. Hope it helps

Kev

Thanks guys... in particular the GMT.EXE tip. Some chick I know went and installed that Grokster thing and ended up in complete denial with it. Once the offending thing was destroyed all was cool again... even if she was on a dialup!

Peace.

I encountered this same issue recently and found the solution to the original query. I should note that it seems like everyone here missed teh actual problem as originally posted and went nuts on all sorts of hanging or freezing problems.

To reiterate, the problem occures when you select "open in new window" via the right click menu in internet explorer or when a site attempts to open a pop-up advertising window. In fact, this problem occurs whenever teh window.open event is invoked.

When the problem occurs IE just kind of brain farts, and seems to stall or hang for anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds. It affects a couple browser versions, but SPECIFICALLY seems to be found in IE version 6.0.2800.1106.

In my situation I got a BRAND new Toshiba 2430 laptop, installed all my software, and had the problem. I tried all these batch files, dll registries, etc., but nothing worked. I then went to install an LPT printer port and printer today and... walla. Problem gone.

Whether the solution here is to have a printer installed (I had only a PDF printer and Fax printer installed previously with the latter as my default) or some file that the printer install routine places on teh machine I don't know, but the problem IMMEDIATELY dissapeared. All browser windows now open with LIGHTENING speed.

If it matters I installed an LPT printer port for an SMC barricade 7004AWBR and the printer is an epson stylus 777.

good luck,
rt

I got the problem when I installed Matlab and XP patch for it (JREPatch).
Popups wouldnt open and open new windows had to be stopped and refreshed in order to work.

Deleting and installing IE didnt help

I regsvr32 some dlls as highlighted in one of those microsoft knowledge bases but it didnt help.

I got it to work regsvring these too...
Go to Start>Run, and type:
regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll

Well it happened again...I believe its due to installing and removing DVD Copy Plus. After I did that the window hangs on open in new window... went doing my regsrv32 thing but I only performed it on actxprxy.dll and it started working again.
My next problem is Norton SystemWorks 2002 one button scan hangs on Registry Scan. Anyone with a solution contact me at youve_got_to_be_kidding@hotmail.com (no joke)
thanks

I recently had a problem when i installed software for my cable internet connection. new windows wouldn't load. you would have to stop and reload otherwise it would be transparent. I am running windows 98. I downloaded mcrepair and it worked. you have to replace the existing files even though they are newer. this fixed my problem.

Thanks LeftOverMeat!!

Your post of...

I got it to work regsvring these too...
Go to Start>Run, and type:
regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll

fixed my issue. I ran all three of these commands, not sure which one fixed it, but...oh well. I agree with rat3 that this thread has gotten off the original topic. I have had the original prolem of a second window opening but freezing. I was forced to use Netscape to open some links. (Not that i mind, but Netscape does take a bit more time to open than IE.)

LeftOverMeat, you deserved this star!

David

"Everyday is after the one before."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back