Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 links not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdrh

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hi...whenever i click on a link in an e mail or on a website or try to open a thumbnail I get a transparent explorer window over whatever is open on my pc and the busy curser comes up....The address bar is empty and nothing happens...I have to close the transparent window in order to get the curser to work again....If there is a url address link I can copy and paste and it works fine...however if it is just a link then all i get is the transparent window..this makes browsing almost imposible...please help if you know how to resolve this problem...I went to add/remove progs as i believe there is a repair option and IE6 was not listed in my progs...I am using windows xp

If you are not running IE6 SP1 version you can try running the command

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

that is the most common problem nowadays after upgrading IE6.0.

You are not the only one experiencing this. I too have the same problem with the links inside a website and I am running XP with IE 6 with all the sp's.

Anyone have a fix to this yet?

i have a similar problem, i have ie6 with all patches, and all patches for xp, but certain links in ie6, outlook, word and even the link to my hotmail inbox in windows messenger do not work, absolutely nothing happens. some links from web pages and emails do work though.

LIAM,
very good job. also, i found that, ie6.0, initiallize Security tight after install.
So, we should moderate the security in Tools-> Internet options. then, we can see hotmail or other internat mail.

and the command line is very useful!

I'm running w2k and I have the same probelms as described above - when I try to close the new window I can't - it says the window is busy, and the only way to close it is to force it.
I'm nervous about doing things with the registry, will this be ok with w2k, you all mention that you're running xp
Any advice is very gratefully received
thanks
lynne

Storm,
your problem sounds like, rather IE itself. that the application is not working fine.
How about reinstalling IE?

Follow liam264's advice above, then go to: IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Reset Web Settings

thanks all...did all of the above and still no joy...
And to cap it all I can no longer send or receive files/photos on msn messenger - somewhere along the line I've screwed up royally - thinking back I had nae bother with anything until my "friend" insisted I install sp3...

What would be the consequences of uninstalling sp3 do you think?
many thanks
lynne

heres your fix:

"Here's the answer - believe it or not - it's Microsoft again!!

FuNkYViNcE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just had the same problem, and i found the solution.
u have to download and run this executable

for more info on this problem ge here:
; "

I found this tonite after searching around for abit.

If your not sure what Its for hit ctrl-F right now.Did you get and error?
then DL this and run it saying yes to all 4 or 5 files being overwiten.

Make sure to go to that second link too and read what M$ did to screw us 98 users.I knew it was only a matter of time till they started this sort of crap.

ah, hell just read it here lol

"There's currently an epidemic of this problem. It's a really new problem,
because Microsoft in their wisdom, made a version of the OLEAUT32.DLL (et.
al), version 3.50, that is incompatible with Windows 98. IMHO this was a
big mistake by Microsoft and the worst form of DLL HELL. It comes with the
version that ships with Windows XP.

Someone has made an install that includes this new DLL, thereby destroying
your system. Here is a fix

Download:

download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/Patch/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/mcrepair.E
XE

Then run it, and when it prompts you to overwrite newer files, make sure you
click YES for each file (not "No" or "No to all")

This will replace all of the 3.50 DLLs from XP with older versions
compatible with Windows 98 (2.40.4515)

NOTE TO ALL INSTALL DEVELOPERS: DO NOT INCLUDE THE WINDOWS XP VERSION OF
OLEAUT32.DLL, OLEPRO32.DLL, ASYCFILT.DLL and STDOLE2.TLB in your setup. It
is causing great pain everywhere.

Ted."

i also have a client who is having this problem..

when they go to tools-->options-->programs
for html editor they have something like intsec or something, when it should be wordpad or word or something.

this is on a windows 2000 machine with sp3 and latest hotfixes.

I suspect it it'll work for any version of windows.But dont quote me.

Thanks to JerseyD (6/10/03 post above)and Ted (Ted@t--x.org).
After weeks of searching for a solution to this problem, this fix worked on first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back