Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 functions for a few minutes then returns Page Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnatale

MIS
Feb 14, 2003
CA
I am having a problem with Internet Explorer on 1 workstation only in the network which is running Win98se .
- This station has had third-party software installed on it for bouncing unwanted mail and IP masquerading. I suspect that even after uninstalling the software there are traces left in the registry that cause IE to stop retrieving pages. When IE stops functionning I can still ping DNS sites by DNS names and IP addresses however IE comes up blank unable to retrieve sites.
- I have also seen this problem after uninstalling MS proxy client 2.0. The uninstall failed and from that point on no nternet browsing was possible.
- any ideas saving me from the dreaded "format c:" command would be much appreciated.

Click "Internet Options" in Control Panel, select Connections Tab, click "LAN setting" and clear " Use Proxy" box vadimp@yandex.ru

Try use another browser such Netscape, Opera et cetera vadimp@yandex.ru

Have tried with Netscape and still had same problem. I went back into the registry and found a key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER for a 3rd party app called ad-muncher and removed it, now all seems well. I had originally installed this software for killing popups and tried the IP masquerading feature. I think it was remains of the IP masquerading feature that were the culprit as all browsing seemed to be redirected to a proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back