Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6 Delay Typing URL in the Address Bar without the http:// prefix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartinfo

Technical User
Jun 1, 2003
US
when i type a url starting with " instead of the whole " it'll take 20 to 40 seconds for my computer to figure out that there should be http:// in front of whatever website i'm trying to access. Typing http:// before the brings the page up right away. Leaving off the http:// always results in a delay even if I just visited the page. If I use a shortcut or pick from the history the page comes up right away (as if I typed the This was addressed in this thread:

However, no fix was proposed - just a work around of hitting ctrl-enter and typing a partial URL and letting IE fill in the and the .com suffix. This workaround does work, however I am seeking an understanding of the problem and perhaps a real fix for it.

Thanks,
-Andre

I too have this beautiful-Russian-brides popup situation...haven't found a website where someone has discovered what causes it.

As for those pron popups, try looking through your processes in the Windows Task Manager, then check here:
That website lists much evil stuff that lurks about the internet waiting to load itself on your comp.

RandallW,
Have you ran a spyware/malware removal tool on your pc?

SpyBot can be found here if you have not:

This will remove most any parasite that you pick up either by your own browsing or drive-by hijackings

If this does not work, search your registry for bride and bride.ru, deleting any entries you find.

Browser hijacking is not rocket-science, you've just got to have the patience to root it out of your machine

I've done an internet search, and no one has figured out the bride.ru problem.

My spyware-checking programs don't seem to find out the problem, either.

You might consider checking your IDE controller driver. Try the generic driver as a test.

Hello. I too have the browsing delay if I dont type the full " in front of where I want to go. My registry settings are correct. I regularily use AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy to remove all dorts of things. They are up to date.

Recently, my home page was hijacked. In addition, new adult themed changes to IE appeared, like a special bar with quick links on it to, shall we say, "special" web sites.

I spent several days figuring out how to un hijack my home page and remove the "malicious"-ware. I finally found a website,
Here, you can download a free utility that will scan your registry, then allow you to check entries that are not wanted, and "fix" them, by removing them. The website is VERY informative, with instructions for novice users. The moderators suggest that you read the FAQ's, scan your registry, then save the scan results to a log file. You then post the logfile to the forums. Expert moderators will read the logs, then tell you what to delete.

Really, everything is fully explained at I went through this whole procedure. It took several scans, fixes, and posts to finally root it out. The real nice thing was the helpful assistance you recieve. They are really devoted to stopping spyware, and they help you every step along the way.

And it is free too.

In my case, the hijack SW would re-spawn itself immediately, even after doing the fixes per there instructions. Eventually, I found a .exe program running that I renamed, and the re-spawn stopped.

But unfortunately, ever since then, I have had the delay in browsing when not typing the whole url. I think this delay problem is spyware related. Like the spyware is an infection, that even after it is gone it leaves its mark on IE like a scar.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back