Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0SP1 on Win2K pauses before first web page displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

libove

MIS
Apr 9, 2002
US
On Win2K, all patches and service packs, with IE 6.0SP1, also all patches, SOMETIMES there is a delay of twenty to forty seconds before the very first page requested in the browser window will display. Once any page has displayed, all future page requests in that window and all child windows display promptly.

A packet capture on the machine shows that the DNS lookup for the host name in the URL is not sent until after that initial delay. As soon as the delay is over and the DNS lookup packet is sent everything goes along fine.

Example: Start IE 6.0SP1 (e.g. click on 'e' on desktop) with home page set to blank:.
Window immediately appears, empty.
Type any URL at all in to the address bar and click GO.
Wait twenty to forty seconds.
Page displays, as promptly do all future pages in that browser window and any other window started from that browser process with File -> New -> Window.

Start up another new browser thread (click on the 'e' on the desktop again), browser window promptly displays empty, type a URL, click GO, wait twenty to forty seconds, ...

Very strange. I don't think it's DNS related, because the DNS packets aren't sent by the browser until after the delay, and the delay happens only once, and having the web site address cached in the system's DNS client doesn't matter (e.g. new browser, wait, wait, okay fine; start another new browser, wait again even though the IP addresses of are still in local DNS cache).

Any ideas please?

Thanks
-Jay

Try this as a fix:
(do a registry backup first, for safety's sake)
Go into regegit, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerRemoteComputer\NameSpace

Highlight this value:
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Delete it
(you shoudln't have to restart for it to take effect, but's a good idea)

You might also try this if no joy from the first suggestion:
Go toStart, Run
Type in:
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
Hit Ok...
Wait for confirmation...

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked that I had a current version of oleaut32.dll and I re-regsvr32'd it for good measure. No effect.

I checked the registry contents for the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} key and found it to be present, with no contents. Before I go deleting it, could someone please explain what it is for, what is eliminated by deleting it, and why it might cause the problem I'm seeing with the delays before the first web site loads on new instances of IE?

Thanks!
-Jay

in the connection tab in "internet options" click the "lan settings" button and uncheck "automaticly detect settings" and see if that helps. when this is checked, the first page will be hesitated when opening while "detecting" settings.

i'm still wondering about the problem with the IE itself not opening for a while.

let us know if it helps anything. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

The LAN settings configuration page does not have the "automatically detect settings" (or any other proxy, dialup, or other connection settings). The workstation has a static IP address and is directly connected to a large corporate network, all routing and other magic performed by real networking equipment.

Your comment about IE itself not opening for a while - that's a different issue than this thread, right? Is it a general performance problem on the machine, or does only IE suffer the problem?

-Jay

its just the IE not opening at all for a while. alot of people seem to have the same issue with XP and IE 6.0 sp1. its not the page opening its IE all together, different than yours.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."

I had a similar problem where IE was being launched through OLE by a terminal emulator. After a number of such invocations, something in Windows got confused or ran out of resources, and then next time I asked that terminal emulator to open an IE window based on some highlighter text, the IE did not open, and the terminal emulator hung.

One way to reduce the occurrence is to uncheck in the advanced options page Reuse windows for launching shortcuts.

Another is, if you use various applications which can launch IE, configure them to explicitly run the iexplore.exe binary rather than to use OLE.

Good luck.
-Jay

Sorry, I don't do anything work related n the weekends, hence the delay in a response. The registry key I referenced in the above post is a "bug" that causes the OS to search for shared folders, whether they're there or not. Apparently, upgrading versions of IE can add this key to your registry during setup.

I am having a similar problem:
when i type a url starting with " instead of the whole " it'll take 20 to 40 seconds for my computer to figure out that there should be http:// in front of whatever website i'm trying to access. Typing http:// before the brings the page up right away. Leaving off the http:// always results in a delay even if I just visited the page. If I use a shortcut or pick from the history the page comes up right away (as if I typed the This was addressed in this thread:

However, no fix was proposed - just a work around of hitting ctrl-enter and typing a partial URL and letting IE fill in the and the .com suffix. THis workaround does work.

Does the registry fix above address this problem? Has anyone tried this registry fix?

Thanks,
-Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back