Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.02 throwing a syntax error - Am i missing something 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkgut

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
I have had the worst problem with a file that is throwing a syntax error.

to view the file go here

if you run it locally you will not get the error.

You need to run it through a local webserver (apache or something). The error comes at line 503. I have no idea why it won't execute through this function. Mind you to see how the file works try it in Firefox and it behaves fine. It is just such a weird problem because Firefox is usually stricter when it comes to JS.

I am desparate and will pay someone to help me figure this out. I have been staring at this code for almost a week.

Please HELP!!

thanks,
Billy

This is the spookiest thing! The guy in the cubicle next to me was just experiencing this EXACT SAME PROBLEM! We couldn't figure it out either.

Anyone? Anyone?

--Dave

Why not change the line to read:
Code:
document.uspsfeedback.submit();
And see if it submits?

Also - did you check for whitespace? Maybe some illegal character?

Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

I have tried that and it gives the same error. If you debug the code. It sticks on that 503 line. If you put an alert before it it comes up. If you put it after the line 503 it throws the error.........

I have checked all whitespace and other illegal characters, I can't find anything..........

It is the most frustration issue I have ever had!!

'just did a Google search. Someone before us solved this!

You have something named 'submit' on your page. JavaScript doesn't know how to distinguish your button (frm.submit) from the function (frm.submit()).

Change the NAME of that button and you should be good.

--Dave

I am desparate and will pay someone to help me figure this out. I have been staring at this code for almost a week.
So how much are you going to charge dave?

-kaht

...looks like you don't have a job, so why don't you get out there and feed Tina.
headbang.gif
[rockband]
headbang.gif

If this works I will definately stick to my word. By the way what did you search for in google..........i couldn't figure out what to type in to get an asnwer to this question

This is not the problem the button name is "submit_1" I changed it to test, just to be sure and nothing changed......any other ideas???? Can you send me the google link to the place where you found this problem

You did a search on EVERY form element? I was so certain that was your problem. It's what ended up being the case for my office-mate.

I searched Google with javascript error submit and the first result had the answer I cited.

Another explanation on one of the other returned pages is as follows:

If the form object has an element named "submit", that element takes precednet
over the submit() method. Therefore, the above javascript is referencing an
object, not a method.

The workaround is to add the attribute property="btnSubmit" to the html:submit tag.

A better resolution would be to omit the name="" HTML from the input tag when
the property attribute is not set in the taglib.

HOWEVER... That being said, I have played around with your page and I believe the problem is that you are trying to do a method="GET" on a form with a bazillion form elements and it's just way too many for the GET method of submission.

Try changing it to POST. As payment, I'll take 2 pounds of some Columbian or African Starbucks whole coffee bean! Medium intensity please. :)

--Dave

Unfortunately, I don't have time to complete the mission.

But I can pass on a waypoint:

If you comment this line it works:
Code:
function TestDataCheck(feedback) {   

var pagecounter_passed = parseInt(document.uspsfeedback.pagecounter.value);
   var pagecounter_passed = pagecounter_passed + 1;
   document.uspsfeedback.pagecounter.value = pagecounter_passed;
   //saveDataInComments(feedback);

return true;

} // end of TestDataCheck()

Got to get back to my "real" job..

Thanks,
--Mark

Dave is dead on...

Change the method to "post" and it works fine.

I'm guessing that comment you're formatting is too much..

Good Job Dave.

Thanks,
--Mark

Thanks, Mark! I thought it was pretty ingenious of you to figure out that commenting out that line would do it. It occurred to me that, if that were true, that the 'tipping point' from being able to use GET to requiring POST was when that comment was added.

Have a great day!

--Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back