Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0 vs IE 5.0 , Netscape and javascript/vbscript

Status
Not open for further replies.

computergeek

Programmer
May 23, 2001
CA
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience developing Web application in Interdev for IE and Netscape? I understand with Netscape that you cannot use vbscript, you have to use javascript. For IE, you can use either. I am planning on using javascipt for all server-side scripting. I recently heard that with IE 6.0 it does not longer support javascript?! Is this true? Do you know where I can find more information on this topic? (Yes, Microsoft's web site, but where?) Thanks in advance for the information.

: o )

Hi,

IIS supports server side scripts in VBscript and also Javascript. you can write all your server side stuff in VBscript or whatever is easier for you.
Browsers process client side scripts. IE supports java and VBscript (including IE6), while netscape supports only Javascript. So if you want to develop sites for both browsers, write your client side stuff in Javascript.
But there are diffrences in what diffrent browsers support. Something that works in IE will not necessarily work in Netscape or the other way around. There are also diffrences between browser versions.
I can't remeber any cool web sites that will help you, but I've seen some good ones.
"Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure."
-George E. Woodberry

Hi computergeek,

JavaScript is the client-side scripting-language for the web. It's supported on a wide range of browsers, and won't disappear in the near future.
IE6 DOES run JavaScript, IE7 (or whatever it will be called) will probably still support it.

Sorry Metka, but I'll have to correct you.

The IE-browsers have a VBScript/JScript-engine, where Netscape has a JavaScript-engine.

However, the IE JScript-engine also parses JavaScript-code (as if it where JScript). This also explains the difference in code, where Netscape uses document.layers['div1'] to get a refference to 'div1', IE uses document.all('div1').

Check ' or 'javascript.internet.com' for more info.

Greetzzz,

Raver1

Hi Raver1,

you can correct me any time you like :)

I didn't know about the Jscript/JavaScript engine, I only know about the diffrences I have to make in code and I'm happy as long as it works on both browsers.

Metka "Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure."
-George E. Woodberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back