Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 6.0-browser takes a long time to start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqcheryl

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
US
I just got cable installed on my computer and Ive been having problems loading IE 6.0 (frankly..I cant recall if this was happening just before I got the cable, but I dont think so..) anyways, I click on the shortcut or double click the icon on the desktop and it takes about twenty seconds to load. Ive tried searching the net for anything but Im not finding a thing.. except there was an older topic on this site with the same issue.. and one of the things advised was to remove(or disable) the network adapter.. well being that Im using cable I cant do this.. I have two network adaptars and I tested disabling them both..however its this one: intel(r) pro/100 vm network connection (driver: e100b325.sys) that, if I disable, IE starts up instantly.. but then.. I cant sign on aol/cable!!
Ive tried cleaning the computer.. temp folder, cache, defragging.. but nothings working.
And just to double clarify.. its not getting a website to load, its getting the actual software application to load.
My computer stats are:
Compaq Presario 5000
80g hard drive
Intel Pentium 4 processor 1.6 ghz
512mb ram
windows xp

any help would be extremely grateful!! thanks, cheryl

Have a look at this thread thread779-535248 and the other one mentioned within to see if your situation is caused by the security update.

Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1

Fixes speed problems in XPsp1 ( boot & program loading )

No, thats not the problem. This computer came with XP already built in it. Its Internet Explorer that is the issue here, and as I was saying above, its because of the cable modem.
This is a thread thats more similar to what Im referring to:

the only connection xp has to do with this is perhaps if it has issues with the cable. It has nothing to do with IE..

im browsing other threads as we speak and someone mentioned this problem.. they watched the processes in task manager and another program was taking up the time for IE to load.. so I checked this.. and theres no program getting in the way of IE.. but I do notice that..even already having a browser open (thus you have 'iexplore.exe' in the list) when I click for the new browser, another 'iexplore.exe' shows up. I remember on my old computer (win95/98) that when this happened it caused my ie to crash, and I would uninstall/reinstall IE.. but you cant do that with IE 6.0 on xp.. and I even tried to 'repair' it but even that doesnt work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back