Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5 password problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
GB
IE5 refuses to "remember" a password and asks for it everytime we enter a site. Have tried to rectify this by uninstaling and re-installing IE but still being asked for password - any ideas??? Nogs
[ponder]

In Tools, Internet Options, Content, AutoComplete, try checkmark on Usernames and passwords on forms.

Hi Panderson,
Have tried that and it still asks for a login & password Nogs
[ponder]

In the bottom right hand side of IE it says Internet - double click it - Select Internet - Select Custom - Scroll to the bottom - Choose the logon method to suit yuor needs.

Regards.

Win98user
Have changed the settings to;

"Automatically logon to intranet zone only"

This is then the same as my IE which works fine this one doesnt however!!!

Any ideas??? Nogs
[ponder]

Hi Nogs,
Where you have clicked the "Automatically logon to intranet zone only" there is a ? mark in the top right hand corner - click it the click "Automatically logon to intranet zone only" , it is the help facility and spells out the instances in which to use the given selections.

I would suggest that you use either "Anonymous login" or "Automatic logon with current username and password".

Regards.

Hi Win98user
I tried both of your suggestions and neither worked, anonymous login returns an error suggesting a "bad password" and "Automatic logon with current username and password" keeps asking for the login and password as usual.
This is beginning to drive me mad...... Nogs
[ponder]

Could you supply a bit more detail about the problem?

For example;
Do you have muliple users configured for your machine?
Are you on a nework?
If you are on a network what type is it?
What "Primary Network Logon" do you have set in the Settings/Control Panel/Network?
Which sites are asking for the passwords?
Are cookies enabled? Look in the internet settings in the bottom right as before.

Thanks.

Win98 user
Here are the answers to your questions;
There is only 1 user setup for the PC
We are on a network, using tcp/ip on a unix lan/wan.
Client for Microsoft networks
Company Intranet
Cookies are enabled.

Thanks for taking the time... Nogs
[ponder]

Hi Nogs,
Going back to the section PAndersen highlighted - have you check marked the "prompt me to save passwords" box?

Any examples of sites that you are struggling with might give us an insight.

Regards.

For example: Are you asked to enter username and passwords everytime you come to the tek-tips site?

Also,look in the Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/ scroll down to Security and make sure there isn't a tick in the check box for "Empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed".

Its got to be something simple like that, lol.

Regards.

Hi Win98user
I check marked the "prompt me to save passwords" box?
It is a company intranet site with the problem - they only have access to this.
The "Empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed" isnt checked.

Still asking for the passwords.
Nogs
[ponder]

Deary me, lol.

First, In the bottom right hand side of IE it says Internet - double click it - Select LOCAL INTRANET, then click sites and make sure there is a tick in all the boxes then click ok.

Then, making sure that LOCAL INTRANET is still selected - Select Custom - Scroll to the bottom - select "Automatically logon to intranet zone only"

Also, make sure that both types of cookie sessions are enabled.

Fingers crossed that this will sort it.

Regards.

Hello win98user
I tried all you suggested...
It still asks for a password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nogs
[ponder]

Sorry Nogs - I tried my best but must admit defeat here.

Maybe someone else can step in - All that is left to suggest is an upgrade to IE6.

Good Luck.

That password is probably saved in the history folder.
Is history kept for at least 1 day ? Also look in the registry at H_C_U\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\ControlPanel for special keys.

It seems to me that sometimes, IE will remember it, but it needs prompting.
type the first few letters of the username that it already should have remembered.
Then press the down arrow key, and select the login name desired. It should then input the password for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back