Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5 Home page settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopalong

Technical User
Dec 9, 2001
US
Hi,

How do I get rid of those automatically set and persistant home page settings in IE 5? I've tried deleting the files and clearing the history but some are still there. What can I do?

Rick

Check my FAQ:

IE6 Homepage Rewrite:
faq608-1148

reghakr

Reghakr,

Thanks for the answer but I am not sure you understand my problem. Although sites on occasion have changed my homepage, that is not the issue. What I dont like is if I try to change my homepage, a bunch of sites that I have visited come up as selections. In other words, if I go to IE Tools/Internet Options, and start typing a new home page like many things that starts with the letter "h" comes up even after I delete all internet files and clear history. Some of these sites that come up are of "ill repute" if you know what I mean like etc! Just trying to make this list have nothing to select from at all when I go to change my home page. I am using Win98 and IE5.5. some of the keys you mentioned are not there in my registry. I have searched for "hotbabes" in the registry and it does not find it.

Thanks again!

I think what you are talking about is AutoComplete which is under the CONTENT tab under Internet Options. Have you tried clearing this out?

joegz,

Nope. That didn't help either. There is one still left in the list that I cant seem to delete. Perhaps I should go to that page and look at the code?

Thanks

I found this article which mentions the registry key where the URL's are kept.

To remove the cached Internet address entries, clear the History folder. To do
so, use the appropriate method:

Internet Explorer 4.0, 4.01, 5, 5.5
-----------------------------------

1. In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the View (or Tools) menu.

2. On the General tab, click Clear History.

3. Click Yes, and then click OK.

If the cached addresses are still listed in the Address box in Internet Explorer,
use the following steps:

1. Quit Internet Explorer.

2. Delete all of the values except for the (Default) value from the following
registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

NOTE: Values in this registry key are listed as Url1, Url2, Url3, and so on. If
you delete only some values and the remaining values are not in consecutive
numerical order, only some of the remaining entries are listed in the Address
box. To prevent this behavior from occurring, rename the remaining values so
that they are in consecutive numerical order.

joegz,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

.............is not a valid key on my system. Everything up to the "TypedURLs" is, but that key is not there.

Thanks again.

joegz,

Actually, it is there now, after I "Typed" in this web page. Remember, the "Address" list in IE is NOT where I am having the prob. It is when I go to Tools / Internet Options / and start entering a new home page. A list of "unwanteds" appear. Remember, I searched the registry for the "persistant" web page name and found nothing.

There is one ONE WAY to eliminate that info:

If you're familiar with DOS, you can do this:
It will totally clean everything.

Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart In MS-DOS Mode, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command, and pressing Y if you are prompted to confirm folder deletion:

cd\windows
smartdrv
deltree cookies
deltree history
deltree tempor~1
exit

The neccessary files and folders will be rebuilt at startup

reghakr

reghakr,

Yes, quite familiar with DOS. I am (er...was) a programmer but forgot about hidden files and other attributes that aren't as apparent anymore due to the splashy nature of a GUI such as Windoze. In any event
it worked!

Clean as a whistle.

Penicillin couldn't have done a better job!

I shall become chaste and never venture into the garden of heavenly internet delights again!! (...but only after my adultcheck ID expires!).

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back