Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 wont run after install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I installed IE 5.5 on an NT4.0 sp6a server so that I could update my Symantec AV Corp. Edition to 8.1. Everytime I click on IE to run, the splash screen briefly shows then closes, I can't get it to run, and when I run SAVCE, the page that is supposed to be displayed with IE has two big X's on it. Another oddity, on the desktop icon for IE, it just has the blue "e", it doens't say internet explorer under it. If anyone knows of any bugs or tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sounds like you had a bad install of IE. I would get IE running before you even look at the antivirus.

Few things you can try.

Remove IE from add/remove programs, choose the repair option, reboot and try again.

No go, Remove IE again, this time restore to the previous configuration. If that works, then I would try installing IE6 instead of 5.5.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks, I ended up just installing IE6 anyway, everything is running fine, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back