Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 SW Deploy with IEAK Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

a31modela

MIS
Jul 11, 2000
US
Thought someone here may have some insight to this problem I am having with a sw deployment. I am trying to deploy IE5.5 SP2 to ultimately 650 remote pcs. I am using SMS 2.0 with the IEAK for 5.5 as well as IESetup.ipf file for the deployment. I have been able to get IE5.5 sent out to test boxes however, I am unable to get it to load any Browser Customizations ( only need to select different home page). So far I have done the following :
1. Deploy IEAK pkg with the SMS installer .ipf file with a completely silent install. Install works but no customized home page.
2. Deploy IEAK pkg without any installer pkg to my pc with full user intervention. During install, box popped up & said unable to load browser customizations but everything else loaded fine & it upgraded to 5.5. ( Win2k, ie5.0 PC & a NT4.0 SP6 ,ie5.0 box)

If I open up my IEAK profile mgr & open the .INS file I have for the IEAK pkg I created, it does show the custom browser changes I added.

I also removed the IEAK program & reinstalled it thinking I was somehow creating a corrupt .cab but still same problem. Another in my group loaded the IEAK & tried it as well & got the exact same results.

Any ideas ???

Thanks,
Steve

just checking - you are updating the policy information at

Local computer policy\user configuration\Windows settings\internet explorer maintenance\url's\important url's

Other than that, there are a couple of questions in the IEAK wizard that can throw you off... and make settings per machine... or what have you. We read very carefully each question and got it wrong at least many times before we had the complete configuration we were looking for.

If that's the only problem you're having with your install, count yourself lucky.... but, if you have NT system policies on your NT domain you can set the default home page in there & that way anyone who pulls the profile will have the preset home page & you can push the rest of you package as is. If you don't already have system policies on your network, don't unless you want something else to manage & have the finger pointed at....

Good luck, Mike C

Did you find a fix for this? Anyone?

Unable to install Browser Customizations ... IE 5.5 IEAK worked fine until I tried to use the SP2 version.

I never found an answer to this issue, I did however, create a seperate pkg which changes the default home page when a user logs onto the pc.

You have a couple of options:
Use an .ini file to load IE settings, so when users open IE all settings come from a centralized .ini file. Push the IEAK package that points to the .ini file for settings:
You can also us NT policies to enforce this by loading the IE template, or in 2000 in group policy (there by default)
Hope it helps.

Hello,

Can you still get the IEAK5.5?
I know that you can get IEAK6 but IE6 wont install on Win95 and therefore Im gonna ignore is for now

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back