Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 SP2, now IE closes abruptly on certain sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
US
We upgraded to IE 5.5 SP2 and now IE abruptly close when visiting certain sites. If I disable "Active scripting" and " Scripting for Java applets" under security settings, the problem goes away. However some workers complain about limited functionality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good Afternoon!

Does anything happen before they crash? Do they have the latest and greatest IE hotfix installed? If not I know that my own websites that I support at work were crashing and I installed the hotfix. I believe with anything above Q316059 fixed the crashing issues for my department.

Shan

If the problem seems to be Java related, then check the following:

1) Go to a command prompt (Start->Run and type command)

2) At the prompt, type jview and hit enter

3) In the first line to the right of where it says "Microsoft Command-Line Loader", you should see a Java Version number. If this number is lower than 5.00.3802, then you need to upgrade the Java VM.

What version of Windows are you running?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

WINNT service pack 6? Did you find out what version of Java you're running? Have you tried to "repair" IE from Add/Remove Programs? What sites are having the problems?

Need more info... [wink] ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Service pack 4, still working on figuring out jview switches, performed a repair.

Removed the Shockwave Flash plugin, seems to be working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back