Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 Freezes Briefly when text entered 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryAS

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
US
Out of the blue, my IE 5.5 started to freeze up whenever I enter text in a text box, such as specific words in a search engine. I have since upgraded to SR-1 with no improvement. Once I enter text, the mouse pointer goes away, and for 15 to 40 seconds nothing happens and IE freezes. Then, there is a click as if finally the program registers the fact that I had just tapped the "enter" or "send" box. I have turned off all my virus software with no difference. Otherwise, IE works find with hyperlinks. My other application, word processing, excel, email, etc. work fine. It seems that something is causing a pause before I upload any information. But the freeze happens when I hit the "send" and before I get the audible click sound.

Open IE, select Tools, Internet options, and click on the Delete Files in the Temporary files section of the General tab. Put a tick in "Delete offline content", and delete all files.
This happens when there's too much info in the MRU (most recently used) section of IE cache. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I have found my own problem, or at least identified the source. When I turn off the autocomplete function of IE, then I no longer get the long wait time after the entry of text into a text box.

Is there a way to delete the files associated with this function and whereby IE will regenerate the files?

Thanks

This is related to a service. Did you recently play with your services? IE stop any recently? James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Were you able to solve your problem, LarryAS? I had a similar issue and found that it was the FunLove virus. If you have a file named FLCSS.EXE in your Windows or Windows/System directory, you have it too.

Troy

The typical fix is:
The autocomplete history is corrupt. To clear forms and passwords information, go to Tools>InternetOptions, click the Content tab, click the AutoComplete button, and choose Clear Forms and Clear Passwords.

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
But when I navigated to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW

and delete the encrypted value listed. This will totally reset it.

reghakr

Thanks for the detailed response. I will implement your suggestion later today. Thanks All!

I've found that the "Protected Storage" service in Win2k causes this problem for me. I had it disabled and had constant freezing with the autocomplete feature of IE. As soon as I enabled the service everything worked fine.

Hope this helps

Hi, I have this problem too, but which value do I delete in the regedit? There's a (default) and a SQ(7=UVRT(3J<4\.

So, should I just right-click and delete the SQ one? Please advise.

SYP}{ER,

Yes, delete all the encrypted entries, leave the (Default) setting as it is.

reghakr

I have this same problem in IE6.0. I have tryed everything listed in this thread and the problem is still there. Everytime i try to type something in a box, it will freeze up for a few seconds and then go. The autocomplete does not work either. I have unchecked and checked all the boxes in the autocomplete setup under internet options with no help.
It appears that i have the same problem as in the original post. When autocomplete is turned off, everything is fine. but i want autocomplete to to be on.
I will try anything you suggest.
thanks
william

Does this pertain:

Delayed Response When Editing Internet Explorer Forms and Outlook Express May Take a Long Time to Start

------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01 for Windows 98

------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the &quot;Restoring the Registry&quot; Help topic in Regedit.exe or the &quot;Restoring a Registry Key&quot; Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to type information into a form in Internet Explorer, the text field may hesitate to insert the cursor and display the text that you type in a text field. You may also experience a long hesitation when you move the cursor from one field to another (5-20 seconds).

In addition, Microsoft Outlook Express may take a long time to start.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur because of any of the following reasons:

The AutoComplete history is corrupted.

The Pstores.exe and associated .dll files may be corrupted or their versions may be incorrect.

The ProtectedStorage registry key has incorrect parameters.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the appropriate method.

Method 1: Clear Forms and Passwords Information in the AutoComplete History
To clear Forms and Passwords information in the AutoComplete settings in Internet Explorer, use the following steps:
Start Internet Explorer.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

On the Content tab, click AutoComplete.

Click Clear Forms and Clear Passwords, and then click OK.

Method 2: Verify the Correct Date/Version of the Pstores Files
Verify the correct date and version of the following Pstores files:

Psbase.dll
Pstorec.dll
Pstorerc.dll
Pstores.exe

Method 3: Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage Value
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the &quot;Changing Keys and Values&quot; Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the &quot;Add and Delete Information in the Registry&quot; and &quot;Edit Registry Data&quot; Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Export and delete the ProtectedStorage value from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS DOS Prompt.

Type the following command:

c:\windows\system\pstores.exe -install
NOTE: This command replaces the correct ProtectedStorage registry key.

Quit all programs and restart the computer.

reghakr

I have tryed all this and nothing has helped at all. It looks like i may have to format and load evenything again. I even tryed reloading windows and ie5.5 and it is still the same as it was.
i also ran into another problem that has come up the last few days. some of my .exe files that i have downloaded will not expand and install. i get several different error msgs when i clict the file.

thanks for the help
william

whenever i type in text in textbox. And wat do u mean by,, deleting the protectedstorage value? u mean juss delete the folder in services and rest of files in it?
How can i fix this? I've tried everythin on wat u guyz put up...but still it freezes

Plz help~` thank you

I'm pretty sure it's the FunLove virus; I had the same problem with IE6 (clearing temp internet folder didn't work) and removing the virus fixed it (try Maybe it wasn't related, but it also seemingly caused 'find file/folder' to jam too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back