Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 cannot print to network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggrrrchick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
CA
Hi...eeerrrrrr........should I say help!!!!
We are running,with OS Windows NT 4.0, IE 5.5. We have many shared printers and some users have local(still shared) and network printers(hooked to the server). When in any microsoft program we have the option(in the dropdown list)of choosing any local,shared or network printer and it prints fine but in IE5.5 we only see the local printer.[mad] The local is okay but we prefer to use the network printer for large jobs.
Any ideas out there?

-Diggz [party]

You probably have the problem fixed by now but here is my insight:

In IE5/5.5/6 there's usually 3 ways to print.

The icon on the tool bar sends the print job to the default printer set for that computer.

Right-click the page and you get a menu with some choices, such as which printer to send the job to when you click on Print.

Clicking the File menu and Print... gives you the same choices as to which printer to send the job to.

Any printer properly shared and mapped should show up on the list, except for the Print icon.

Tip: in File and the Print... line, the 3 dots means that another window will open that gives some choices. You'll see the 3 dots in many menus. Also, with Office 2000 and Office XP, the icon on the tool bar can be changed to give the choices window, instead of simply sending the print job.

Thanks Berton but the funny thing is that the print icon is NOT sending the job to the default. It is sending it to a network printer that is not even in the printer folder, I could not choose the 'S' printer if I wanted to but everything seems to go there anyways. I have uninstalled the 'invisible' printer by adding it and removing while rebooting in between steps thinking the computer may remember that the 'S' was removed but to no avail, still printing across the office![evil]
We are still having the issue and so far the only remedy is fetching the documents from across the office.

Any more ideas would be great!

Thanks and have fun!
-Diggz[ponytails2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back