Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE 5.5 and Win 2000 - Right Click Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmanZ

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
When I right click anywhere in the browser window (IE 5.5/SP2), the menu takes about 3 seconds to pop up. Right clicking in any other application, the window pops up immediately.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Win 2000 Professional, SP3

Dude!

Just so you know you ain't crazy, I've seen that too - it happens on my machine at work but not on my machine at home. The principal difference is networking stuff at the office that I don't have at home.

I was about to complain when it improved. The only reason I can offer is that defragging made a necessary component available more quickly but that's all I was ever able to come up with.

The right click menu appears instantly when you're not on the web right?

rev

It happens when I'm using IE. Since my computer is always on the network (work), I can't test it otherwise. But, right-clicking in any other application works instantly. A friend of mine said he read about this somewhere and found a registry hack to fix it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I'm a little wary of using a program to fix the issue. I'll take a look at it, but I'd really like to know what the registry fix is for it.

I do appreciate the help though and have d/l'ed the program in case I can't do it any other way.

If it helps anyone else out, I did find what registry values are fixed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage

This key has a large number of blank values. These values are moved to a new folder (using MIE55SpeedUp.exe from BlueStarSoftware.de - Thanks StuartP) which dramatically speeds up the right click process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back