Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDS install and configuration on Solaris 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumanto

Programmer
Jan 21, 2003
IN
Hi,

I am trying to install IDS 9.3 on a Solaris 5.8 box.

After the installation, when I try to access 'dbaccess', it gives the error:
"-23101 Unable to load locale categories."

Is it something to do with setting the locale? I read in the doc that 'en_US.ISO8859-1' is the default database locale on UNIX, and the locale on the Solaris box is also 'en_US.ISO8859-1'. So this doesn't seem to be that issue.

I have installed IDS under a separate informix user and group. For the informix user I have not set any environment variables, and for the user who wants to access the database, I have set INFORMIXDIR and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

The above error is thrown both when I want to access 'dbaccess' via informix user or another user.

Can someone point to what needs to be done? Also, as in Windows, whats is the command to start the server?

Thanks in advance,
Sumanto

Here's the message for -23101.You can find thi by typing finderr 23101

An invalid locale name was supplied for the locale initialization. The environment variable to specify the locale category has a wrong value. Check the value of the corresponding environment variable, CLIENT_LOCALE or DB_LOCALE. Also check if INFORMIXDIR points to a valid directory where Informix products are installed.

If a client application receives this error when it requests a database server connection, check that the client and database locales are compatible. They are compatible if a valid locale exists on the server computer with the name lg_tr.codeset@mod, where lg_tr (language and territory) and mod (locale modifier) are from the CLIENT_LOCALE and codeset is from the database locale (from the DB_LOCALE, if it is set, or as stored in the database).

Also : pls check the CLIENT_LOCALE and DBSERVER. I guess you start dbaccess from the serverside.

rgds
Uwe

Hi,

You need to set the environment variable to all the users who need to access the Informix database. You may use file .profile to initialize these environment variables.

Under bourne shell you may use:
export INFORMIXDIR=/fullpathofinformixsoftwaredirectory

Once you create a database, you need to set:
export INFORMIXSERVER=testdb

Also a reference line must be specified in the:
$INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts

You can start the database server by:
oninit
or
1. onmonitor -> Mode -> Startup
2. onmonitor -> Mode -> Online

Regards,
Shriyan

Hi,

Thanks for the help. But it seems that the error is somewhere else.

This is so as:
> I have not changed the default locale of the IDS, and the default locale is the same as the locale on the machine. I have not set any locale information as it is mentioned that one doesn't need to set the information if locales are same.

> INFORMIXDIR and INFORMIXSERVER variable are already set.

> Using ISA I can check that the database server is up. Just that I can not access it through 'dbaccess'.

Thanks for the help again !!
-- Sumanto

is $INFORMIXDIR in you $PATH?
ex
export PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back