Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idleness

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
US
I'm looking for a program that will notify me when a user on the network is away from her computer. The program needs to be invisible. (I currently use ICQ Groupware and set it up on everyone so when their screen saver kicks in, it will show that they are away from their computer, but she closes ICQ.) <><

Hi,

Big Brother is watching!!! :)

I have never used this, but this bit of software will do the job, I think.

Paul

Well, I installed it and the first client came up great! The next client I installed wouldn't work, even though it said it found it in the list of clients. After closing the program and reopening it, the first one didn't work anymore until I reinstalled the client again. When I came back from lunch, it lost it again. Any other ideas? <><

Oh!!

Sorry, but like I said in my first mail, I never used the software, I just know it exists!!!

Whats your network TCP/IP, SPX/IPX???

Do the clients that the software works on have the same protocols on as the ones that dont work?

Paul

Everyone is using TCP/IP, but the IPX/SPX is loaded too. According to the program's help file, the error I am getting is caused by two different versions of the software between the client and the server. There's obviously a glitch in the software because I only downloaded one version. <><

Strange, I would say if you dont need IPX/SPX get rid of it. That will reduce network traffic!. But as you mention Groupware, I assume you novell sat somewhere in your network!

Could be worth looking in the registry for any mention of the old ICQ software, that may be causing the conflict!

Paul

We need the IPX/SPX in order for some old software to run that uses btrieve. We still use ICQ groupware; she's the only one out of 62 users that turns hers off. <><

Ahhh! So its a user problem rather than a techy one! They are just the worst!!! :)

Well thats me plain out of ideas now! Sorry, good luck! Someone else might now of some other software.

Ii did a quick google search for &quot;idle time monitoring software&quot; it came back with a few results! Wht not check those out!!!

Good Luck..

Why not just tell her not to close ICQ groupwise?

She doesn't like popups when she's working, so we told her to set it to &quot;DND&quot;, but she still closes ICQ instead. I decided to use VNC to see when her screensaver kicks in. <><

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back