Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idle users VS remote control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschreck

Programmer
Jan 26, 2000
CA
www.geocities.com
I'm working on a security option so that the futur admins (I'm leaving here in a month and a half) to remotely close the db safely for those users who like to leave the app open when they leave for the day.<br>
<br>
I'm tinkering with ideas. A form that has a button to send a messege box to all front-ends asking to shut down. How could I send such a msgbox to the front-ends?<br>
<br>
The second thought I have is to shut users down remotely. I believe this to be more risky/tricky and have no idea where to begin.<br>
<br>
Any help on this out there? <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Eclectic Page</a><br>

do you have a way to find out who is currently using the dbase in question? this would be the starting point. then you can figure out how you want to get them off the system (asking nicely doesn't always work, especially if they're already gone for the day).<br>
i suggest a warning message, and if there is no immediate response, then you boot them. <p>Brian Famous<br><a href=mailto:bfamous@ncdoi.net>bfamous@ncdoi.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I figured I would have to. I'm unsure how to send the message.<br>
<br>
Yes, I do have a security program DumbBoy introduced as an idea one day.<br>
<br>
It shows me who is on, but does not have any way of sending to them. suggestions? <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Eclectic Page</a><br>

You'd almost need to poll. One way is to have a table (I'm assuming it's a Nework-residing mdb for data?). Table (in simplest format) has Username(PK),Message.<br>
Put a timer on a form that's always open, such as the main menu, or open a hidden form at startup. Every minute or two, read the table, see if the recorde keyed by the current user has a message. If so, do a message box, then delete the record, so the msgbox doesn't keep popping up.<br>
--Jim

you probably can send a mass email from that security form to anyone that is currently using the database through a button and some VB.<br>
i'm not sure on the code for this, but i'll look into to it and get back (unless someone else has an answer beforehand). <p>Brian Famous<br><a href=mailto:bfamous@ncdoi.net>bfamous@ncdoi.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

there's a utility that is supposed to do this for you on the free downloads page of <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> That is, it is supposed to (1) lock out any new people trying to log in, (2) send a message to all users already in, and (3) notify you when they are all out. I have tried this but my databases are secured and I keep getting errors and problems related to the fact that it doesn't know who I am (because it never prompts for username I suppose). There is no support offered on this so I'm DIW but perhaps someone else has an idea? This really looks like it could be a wonderful utility...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back