Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identity field reset after deleting test data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3leTech

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Products being used: Access 2000, .adp file for front end forms and reports; SQL Server 2000 for all the "backend" stuff, like tables stored procedures, etc.

I have completed building and testing a database that will be used in production Oct 1st (next Friday). I need to delete all of the testing and training data that currently exists in the two main tables, both of which have auto-number identity fields. The deleting of the data is not the problem...how to reset the identity fields to zero is.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I don't want to change the structure of the tables (i.e. delete the two auto-number fields, and then recreate them) unless absolutely necessary. What I'm looking for is some "magic" command that "resets" the auto-number to zero.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Telephony Tech

The way that I do it is to remove the identity definition from the column after deleting the existing data and then re-adding the identity property.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

And that resets the auto-number to zero?

So...you delete all of the data, then change the identity definition (to false) and then change it back (to true)? Is that correct?

--Telephony Tech

if you just want to delete the data in the table and reset the identity to 0 it's very very easy.

Truncate table [tablename]

that will do what you want.

What if there are constraints on the table? Do they have to be removed and then reapplied after the data is truncated?

--Telephony Tech

well let me ask this. Are you able to use the command "Delete from [table name]" now?"

how were you planning on removing the data from that table? Are there data in that table that you do NOT want deleted?

I haven't tried either command yet (delete or truncate). No, there is no data that needs to be saved, but the constraints need to be kept. Can I just change the referential integrity so that the delete will cascade to the FK?

--Telephony Tech

Well if you want the corresponding data in any linked tables to be destroyed with the data in that table, I would set up the references appropriately in any case. If the truncate is unsuccessful, then try deleting the data in the linked tables first then truncate the main table.

Wow!!! Thank you Terry! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks also to "donutman" and "pkailas" for helping me realize I needed to change the relationship to "on delete cascade".

Thanks again!!!

--Telephony Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back