Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying Disk Storage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pneumatic

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
all,

i've been asked to identify whether our unix servers are using SAN or RAID etc (and say which) for additional data storage - logistically i am unable to see the hardware involved. there is a mix of servers ie ibm, hp & sun.

my question: is there a quick way via unix command line to get this information asap?

thanks for taking time to read my question.

on aix you can use a:

AIX
lsdev -Ccdisk
lsdev -Ccadapter|egrep -i 'fcs|scsi|ssa'
lscfg -vl hdisk*
ESS
lsess
lssdd
datapath query device
datapath query adapter
EMC

I wouldn't call it quick... And some knowledge of the SAN servers involved - and their specific commands - will help you along.

HTH,

p5wizard

many thanks for that useful information p5wizard....

just for clarification, the lscfg output includes manufacturer & machine type & model fields - will the latter indicate the type eg "OPEN-L" for san etc.

ps/ the ESS & EMC bits, i've not heard of those?

again thanks.

IBM ESS Enterprise Storage Server - SAN storage

EMC Symmetrix, Clariion - SAN storage

lscfg output depends on the SAN box the LUN is residing in...

for an ESS LUN hdisk e.g. you get

hdisk346 21-08-01 IBM FC 2105F20

Manufacturer................IBM
Machine Type and Model......2105F20
Serial Number...............73930123
EC Level.....................545
Device Specific.(Z0)........10
Device Specific.(Z1)........00A0
Device Specific.(Z2)........0075
Device Specific.(Z3)........25601
Device Specific.(Z4)........05
Device Specific.(Z5)........00

This tells me that hdisk346 is a SAN LUN on an IBM ESS (machine type 2105, model F20), that the LUN number is 739 and that the ESS serial number is 2105-30123

OPEN-L is something you see for Hitachi (or their OEM equivalents) servers I believe.

Check out your SAN box manufacturer's website for useful information - possibly you can download scripts as well...

HTH,

p5wizard

p5wizard,

VERY helpful....thanks very much for the detailed reply.

have a good weekend.

ps/ gambling tip - pne to beat west ham on monday.

regards.

On HP - use ioscan to discover where the disks (luns) are attached, you should then identify if they are internal/SAN attached depending if they are SCSI attached or FC.
If you have any SAN management software this should be able to go out and discover.

On SUN, check if you have any FC etc... use prtdiag or prtconf, then check the /kernel/drv/sd.conf file to see if any FC disks (eg EMC / XP array) are attached.

If you use EMC arrays the ECC software would be helpful, if XP try xpinfo if installed.

Hope this helps,

Martin

hi martin,

thanks for the info, noted.
sorry for my delay in replying.
thankyou both martin & wizard for your time.

regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back