Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

identifying copper trunks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
i just went into load 36 and dialed a cell phone from each TN in rout 0 (COT). They all showed the same phone number. I am very confused. I thought each copper line was its own phone number. How can they all have the same #? i am putting in a T1 circuit and want to keep some backup lines but how do i know what to eliminate if they're all the same phone #? there's 11 members in the rout. thank you.

i called each TN individually. I dialed my cell phone at 214-741-2641 showed up on EACH TN. I understand from the office manager that that's also the number that shows on caller ID when people call out, which i definitely don't understand, since the main # is entirely different.

have you looked at the Telco demarc, usually the Telco writes the phone number next to each cot on there block or at least every place I've worked at the in the last 20 years.

No I haven't. it's in Dallas and I'm in NYC. But what difference does it make what's written on the tag? that's irrelevant if each # is showing as the same #, right? unless all those copper lines' caller ID is set to that #?

BY The way, when i am calling my cell phone from LD 36, how do i disconnect the call? i want to disco from the PBX, but the only way i can seem to do it is four stars and then go back to ld 36. is there an easier way?

Yes there is an easier way, to disconnect the call but not the monitor link, type a single '*'. To terminate the monitor link type END.

Also you mentioned in the thread that when you ID the trunks you get the same DN. A couple of possible reasons, one could be if this is a Multiline Hunt Group with Trunk Terminals, in the 5ESS switches the Bell companies used to build them this way to save on DNs if the customer did not need them, especially on large ones(16 or more terminals). I think DMS100 switches might do this too, just a guess. Another reason could be the Telco set up the Caller ID/ANI this way on purpose, so the called party gets only one number, not different ones to call back in the middle of the hunt group.

Hope this helps!
.....JIM.....

I'm guessing these are analog copper COT lines terminated to a universal trunk card. When you order multiple analog COT trunks from a carrier, they typically set up a phone number, collectively on all the trunks, as a "bill to" number. This bill to number is sent out by the carrier as your ANI on all outbound calls made over any of these trunks. This "bill to" number is not necessarily the same as your main number- especially if your main number is the first DID in a block of DIDs and/or your DIDs come in on a T-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back