Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying Columns with highest value

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanC

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
US
How would you identify the column with the highest value
in a table?

I have this table description
matrix(name,vala,valb,valc,vald,vale,valf,valg,highestval)

i need to somehow assign to highestval which among the columns has the highestvalue, like assigning 'A' if vala has the highest value.

You can use the Case statement in T-SQL. If you are using SQL 2000, I'd recommend converting the code in the case statement to If... Then... Else structure in a User-Defined Function (UDF). You can then call the UDF from the query.

Select
Name,
vala, valb, valc, vald,
vale, valf, valg,
HighestVal=
Case
When vala>=valb
And vala>=valc
And vala>=vald
And vala>=vale
And vala>=valf
And vala>=valg
Then 'A'
When valb>=valc
And valb>=vald
And valb>=vale
And valb>=valf
And valb>=valg
Then 'B'
When valc>=vald
And valc>=vale
And valc>=valf
And valc>=valg
Then 'C'
When vald>=vale
And vald>=valf
And vald>=valg
Then 'D'
When vale>=valf
And vale>=valg
Then 'E'
When valf>=valg
Then 'F'
Else 'G' End
From matrix Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Thanks TL, I knew this solution, I was just figuring out if there's a shorter way because I have 15 columns and, though possible, I somehow am thinking twice of doing it like that!

But you're the great guy...I guess that's the only option I have so I'll do it that way!

If you don't have a lot of rows, make a temporary table with matrix2(name, value) then insert each value in the table, then select name max(value) from matrix2 group by name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back