Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying and changing registry keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech4U

MIS
Feb 26, 2002
US
I was just asked by my boss to create an app to go into the registry, make it look at certain keys and their values, and if it is not what it is supposed to be then change it. Does anyone know how this can be done? VB, SMS, MSI, REG?

Thanks! and please let me know if you have questions.

T

Ok...after looking into some apps that I currently have, I found that this can very easily be done using SMS Installer. Basically, you can set it up to do registry checks to see if the value equals, is less than, or greater than what you need and then create if/then statements. You can also set it up to open dialog boxes to let the user know if it is correct or not. Then you can just save it as a SMS Installer file (IPF) and use a 3rd party program like Winbatch to create an MSI file out of it. That way it can be put out in add/remove programs using Active Directory. So after a little digging I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back