Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying a file format

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThornPCC

Programmer
Jan 6, 2000
US
Hi,

I'm tryinging to identify a file format so I can import it into Access. Unfortunatley due to HIPPA regulations, I can't post the file here. It comes from something called SoftMed. It's extension is *.pdb. I can open the file in notepad. I'm still experimenting with it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thorn
Phil
Thorn@full-moon.com

Most of us go through life not knowing what we want, but feeling damned sure that this isn't it.

Phil,

I've not come across a .pdb before, but I've used software that generates delimited text files and gives them custom extensions. Have you tried simply renaming it to a .txt?

Robert

Could this be a palm database extension?
or
CIFTr is an application program for translating files in mmCIF format into files in PDB format. CIFTr is available as source code and as binary form for several Unix platforms.

Or
All PathAway databases have a .pdb file extension

from a google search

Thanks Guys.

I was poking around with the file and can open it with wordpad. It has a lot of junk up top, but the data is visible. I use a program that I've written with QuickBasic that takes some exported text files and cleans up the extra blank lines and "garbage" text. I did a quick hack of the same routine without any real customizationand got a semi-readable file.

The data has no format to it yet. But I've got a few weeks to play with it.

The original data file comes from a company called SoftMed. They provide Medical Records Software. My Company transcribes the medical records from recorded dictation, and then we upload the records to the accounts. This file containes name and addresses for all of one account's physicians. We are trying to update our listing with theirs. While not critical, it would be a time-saver to automate this as much as possible.

Thanks for your input.

Phil
Thorn@full-moon.com

Most of us go through life not knowing what we want, but feeling damned sure that this isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back