Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify when data was entered in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilT123

Technical User
Jan 6, 2005
GB
I use Excel 2007 and have run into a problem.

A colleague has been entering data on a large spreadsheet that we use and I am not sure that the work that she has done recently has been saved.

Is there any way to identify when rows (or cells) were entered into the spreadsheet so that I can identify what was or was not done last week?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Hi Neil,
Is Review > Track Changes what you're looking for?
Regards,
Bob.

Track changes is NOT going to indiicate to the OP, what the user of interest did in the past.

It is a Workbook Sharing feature, going forward when turned on, and indicates when a cell was LAST CHANGED, in a COMMENT.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thank you for the suggestion but not relevant to this particular issue.
We ended up manually rechecking the work.

Skip,
in excel 2003 it is possible to track all changes in shared workbook in a report in separate sheet (History). The dialog after Review > Track Changes allows to customise scope and output of changes reporting. I think that it is possible in 2007 too.

combo

Indeed so - however Skip's critique of the idea is still valid

NeilT123, have you got previous version of the file (before changes)?

If so, you can compare sheets and find cells with different values.
Rgds,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back