Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify Firmware characteristics FC5300

Status
Not open for further replies.

spas

Programmer
Sep 11, 2002
I've got a Data General Clariion FC5300.

spstat shows
Code:
SP B   LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)
PROM Revision: 1.09              Microcode Revision: 05.21.04
Statistics Logging: DISABLED     PEER SP: PRESENT
Disk Write Caching: DISABLED     R3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
WRITE CACHE: ENABLED             READ CACHE: DISABLED
RAID OPTIMIZED: Mixed LUNs       SP TYPE: K1
A: TOTAL 6974
B: DP 00% TOTAL 6975 DIRTY 0000
U: DP 00% TOTAL 0000
Requests Complete: 0
SPS A: OK
SPS B: OK

I'm looking to try to identify what software features are available, specifically access logix.

Would appreciate input from you guru's :)

Thanks, Scott

Access Logix would start with a 6 if I remember correctly.
So, no Access Logix on this box.

Thanks again.

After asking this question, I continued digging and it seems that I might be able to do the following:

I have 4 windows 2000/2003 servers, each with a single fiber HBA connected to a Brocade (compaq) SAN Switch. My Clariion's are also connected to the SAN Switch.

I want each of the four servers to be able to access a discrete LUN on the Clariion. I don't need simultaneous access for any of the LUN's.

I assume that I need to mask out the unneeded LUN's. Do I do this at the host level, or at the switch level?

Thanks, Scott

Lun masking is why you need Access Logix.
The Clariion would handle the masking then via Storage Groups.
Without Access Logix, the connected systems will see all the luns.

Since I am new to this system, does the ability to have storage groups mean that I've got lun masking capability, or is that something that is just available anyway.

I've got the ability to define storage groups, so I'm left wondering about that. -- of course, I believe you when you said that access Logix wasn't available until 6.x :)

Thanks, Scott

I based the 6.x.x comment on my Alpine (fc4500) experience. That one is 5.x.x for no Access logix and 6.xx with Access Logix. It may be different for the K1. If you can create storage groups (in addition to Raid Groups and binding groups of disks into the Raid configuration of your choice), then you likely do have Access Logix enabled on that machine.

Wonderful!

As you said, I can create storage groups, and I've got the ability to create raid 1, raid 3, raid 5, and raid 1+0 groups across the chassis's in whatever config I want.

I'm looking forward to figuring out how to make this work with my servers on Monday.

Thanks again for your knowledge and willingness to share it. You are a blessing!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back