Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identify Active Users Logged into the Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

saw15

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
US
Good day ..

Using Seagate Info / Desktop.

Is there a table within the crystal db that id's the users that are currently logged into the desktop?

Thanks

I am not aware of how to pull this from the system database but you may be able to look at the Application log on the NT server(s) that are running as APS's.(If you run on NT) There seems to be a message there each time someone logs on.

Cheers

I don't know of any way to gather this information cleanly without using Manage Exec or the MMC Snap-In.

Create a crystal report to run agains the application event log of the APS machine. Event id is 4001 If you then add this to the Info Desktop you can just run it as needed.

Like I said, there's no easy way to gather this information cleanly. Event ID 4001 only tells you that a user attempted to logon. It doesn't tell you whether or not the user is still logged on. Event ID 4002 tells you that the user logged off.

You could substring User ID's, compare Event ID's and DateTime values. Frankly, its a pain, especially when you can use the the server software mentioned above.

Have you made any further progress reporting on Users logged on.

When I used the NT event Log no user names were being returned, so although I have the timestamp I have no name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back