Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identical network address workaround for VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcneil1

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
US
I asked this in the VPN forum and no one has replied so I will ask here...

I use MS ISA server w/RRAS for VPN access to corporate. The mobile users occasionally have problems when the hotel offers LAN connections (NAT) and the hotel network happens to use the same private address as our corporate LAN (also NAT). Of course the user has to use dial-up ISP instead and all works. They want to use the high speed (understandably).

The issue is that our servers (192.168.1.x/24) appear to be local to the laptop in hotel (192.168.1.x/24) so the laptop doesn't feel the need to route thru the VPN. Duh!

Anyone have a workaround?

Actually most VPN's are run on the 192.168.0.x/24 range and every SOHO router out there I've seen wants to use it as well. But to answer your question, if it was me, I would take the hit on the head and move the corporate network off of that range now. You will thank yourself later. You can't have much local now to transfer if you are still using a class C at work. Most of the users will go over automatically since they get their address from DHCP. I suggest you go to a class B at work which will give you alot more room for expansion. The private class B's available are:
172.16.x.x/16 to 172.31.x.x

Beat me to it Seaspray0,

moving to class B is the way to go - make life easier in the long run!

Jamie Gillespie
j-gillespie@s-cheshire.ac.uk

That did occur to me it just seems like a headache (all the servers, server publishing rules, print servers, routers, citrix alternate address settings, etc... but I'm sure I could plan it out for a weekend.
I was looking for an easier/softer way!
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back