Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideas on how to troubleshoot 1140 that is rebooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
US
Hi, I have a handful of 1140 IP phones that have overall been pretty reliable. Today a strange problem: a user had her phone do a spontaneous reboot three times in about a 30 minute period. About 10-12 minutes apart. Been OK for a couple hours now.

To me, the most obvious explanation is the phone is going bad and should be replaced, which is what I'll do if it recurs. My question though, is do any of you have other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? I see nothing in LD 22 PRT AHST during the timeframe. Are there logs in Element Manager I can check?

Thanks!

Have you checked out cables and patch cords? Is the user kicking or got something pressed up against the connections under the desk that may cause a momentary loss of connection, which would cause the reboots?
As you say it has been ok for a couple of hours now, so that is where my thoughts would go.

Yeah, that's the first thing I'll check. Just happened again, so going up to replace her phone now. As we install more and more IP sets into the enterprise, I need to know if this is going to be "a thing.

We have 8-10 at a remote location, been there about 5 years. They have only been down once, and that was because the data circuit went down, so they seem to be pretty reliable as long as you have a stable network.

Check the manufacture date on the back of the phone. They had an issue with the power supplies made before March 2007? Avaya has a recall for getting new power supply boards but you have to install them.

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

I second bdmcdonald99 - it could be the known power board issue in the phone. They are $6 to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back