Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideas for Disk Cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

compnut

MIS
Oct 26, 2004
US
Is thier any type of hardware that will clone dekstop and laptop hard drives? Something that I can put a hard drive in and clone from another?

I just had the same issue, probably a little more comlicated than yours. There are: Norton Ghost, Acronis, HDClone, PC Inspector Clone Maxx, Paragon DriveImage, X-ways Replica (part of the X-ways Forensic Suite) and much more. I found that Acronis is very good however it didn't help me in my case. And I found out that PC Inspector Clone Maxx was the fastest cloning solution (40gig drive in 20 min). And works like a charm. Hope it helps.

We use an item called Solitaire Turbo from Logicube. It weighs about a pound and is simple to use.

wolluf,
yes a hardware solution if they have any. For example, if i configure a laptop or desktop with all the programs and configuration that i want I would like to be able to put that hard drive into a device that will then copy that information to a blank hard drive. Currently we are using an old version of PQDI but it does not support the new NTFS version of XP. So now we were thinking of just getting a hardware solution. this will also help out in keeping so many network boot disks. my boss said he saw one a while ago but cant remember who made it.

yoshiojm,
have you had any issues with it and will it do laptop and desktop hard drives? I am looking at thier web site now but i would like to know how you like it. And thanx for the info :)

:becom125
I dont know about fast??? I use Acronics True Image Server and it clones 56 Gbyte of data in 6 minutes across to another drive. Actually I use Acronics True Image Server always if I have the smallest problem, as it is so fast, actually much faster then the restore in XP I disabled restore. It is on Automatic backup for the full systems, WinXp and Sun Solaris Server. They use two drives for the systems and two drives for the backup. With a small batch file I start with one drive system then on shutdown back up. Next boot up it starts from the backed up system, and so on it always changes the boot drives. If I have a lock up I just hit resett. Then the last backup will be installed. They are not incremental but full backups. I hope this helps somebody. Drives are now very cheap and can save days in restoring. Regards

Jurgen

Thanks to everyone for the help. I think we are going to go with the Solitaire Turbo from Logicube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back