Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsaxon

Programmer
Sep 29, 2004
GB
I'm installing a new 20GB IDE HDD to a 1998 PC I before this I formatted my old HDD, and all I have done is replace the wire to my new one. I have went into the bios and found it and yet i cannot find the directory (C:). Could you please advise me on what to do?

Any help is apprieciated

John

There needs to be an operating system installed on the boot drive. I suggest you provide more information of what you did "before" you formatted the old HDD.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Howdy:

Have you partitioned (fdisk), formatted and installed an operating system on the new drive yet?? You have to in order for it to show as c: drive !!

Murray

I just did an ordinary format for my old HDD, but thats gone im not using that anymore.

There isn't anything on the new drive (or so im told)

I don't know how to use FDISK (What paritions to make, etc)

Any help on this please is apprieciated.

John

What OS are you attempting to load?
If using XP you could make the BIOS boot order to CD first and XP will take care of the whole business.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

There are install guides for each version of Windows here:

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back