Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE vs SATA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMartin2004

Technical User
Apr 22, 2004
US
Hello everyone, hope you are all have a nice weekend.

I have two 40 gig hard drives. One has XP pro on is and the other 2000 Pro. All i want to use this time is XP Pro.I want to back up all my data on both drives and reinstall everything again. Can you all offer some creative ideas on how i should go about doing it this time. I would like atleast 200gig storage all together so i am thinking about buying another drive. Should i stay with my two IDE HHD's or should i thing about SATA. I don;t mind buying External HHD if recommended. Let me ko=now what you think.

Thanks,

KMartin2004.

I've been chatting with someone who said he has all his programs on one drive and keeps all the saved files on a second drive. So basically anything that gets saved is on the second drive.

Would this be a good idea for me to do something like this? Then i can buy an external and back up to it.

KMartin2004.

Many installations are setup so that the installation of XP is separate from data files (on different drives). This can also depend on where users actually store their data such as in their profile folders or away from their profile folders (username, Documents and Settings directory).

Moving Docs/Settings folder in windows xp pro
thread779-763308

Setting up users
thread779-825558

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back