Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE to SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTFOOL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2006
US
Hi all
I installed Win2k pro on a laptop with a SATA drive. I disabled SATA in the bios and the install went fine now I would like to change the controller over to SATA...is this even possible ?
I can't find anything mentioning how to do this AFTER the os is installed only during setup (F6 key specify drivers etc).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

any particular reason for wanting to do this? Unless the machine is not running properly, I can't think of one (did you try original install with SATA enabled?)

btw - you could just enable SATA in the bios and see if it boots - of not, just disable it again. Presumably its a fairly new laptop & you've removed XP? Sata laptops I've seen will install XP without additional drivers (probably as floppy drives are non-standard on modern laptops - and that's the main way of getting SATA drivers loaded. And if XP will, 2k probably will too.

Thanks for the reply.
Basically we are still a win2k shop at the company I work for and the ghost image I have for this laptop is pooched (has the sata drivers) and I need to get the machine back to a user asap. I tried just running a standard win2k install and of course the hard drive isnt recognisable until I disable sata. I am thinkng that the machine would be more stable not that it is doing anything crazy now I just would rather have the correct driver installed.

But mulling this over I have come across another dilema...I cant run a repair from a win2k disc with a sata drive due to the same problem...it wont find the install directory with sata enabled.

Perhaps I am worrying for no reason but I would prefer the correct driver installed for the controller if I can do it somehow.

Thoughts that occur:-

1. You will either need a floppy drive or a 2k install disk with the appropriate SATA drivers slipstreamed in to be able to apply either a full or a repair reinstall.

2. The laptop's manufacturer site should have SATA drivers for it. If not, if you know who the SATA provider is (sil, sis etc), you can probably find generic drivers on their site.

3. I still can't see any problems running in 'IDE' mode - its obviously meant to cope with exactly the situation you've got, and it still leaves full repair option open without additional drivers if there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back