Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

segmentationfault

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
US
Could someone suggest an effective, free as in beer, feature filled IDE? I have used JBuilder, but it literally crawls on a PIII 450 with 384 megs of ram - not a barn burner of a machine, but it should reasonably run an IDE without the user waiting 3-5 seconds for every menu click. Also, I've had lots of problems with JBuilder just acting buggy.

I've heard good things about JIdea, and found a company named JIdea that makes a product called JMaker. Is this the correct product or have I confused something?

Of course, I'm looking for a linux solution for a poor post-student. Thanks for any advice you might have.

My favorite IDE is IntelliJ's IDEA. This is the one that I am sure you are referring to. It is very responsive and has incredible features. The support for refactoring is unmatched in any other IDE, though JBuilder has been getting alot better in this respect over the last two versions. IDEA only costs $395 for a license. Try it at . Definitely the best value of any IDE.

If you are looking for an open-source free IDE then give Eclipse a try: though I don't think it is nearly as powerful as IDEA.

BTW, I used to be a huge JBuilder fan. I now use JBuilder at work but exclusively use IDEA for my own projects at home.

Thanks. I remember seeing eclipse listed on slashdot but completely forgot about it. It runs much better than JBuilder but still seems sluggish. Perhaps there is a separate problem with my box.

At any rate, I'll be using eclipse rather than JBuilder in the future unless there is a way to get a reduced rate on that IDEA.

If you are still in school or you work for an academic organization you can get IDEA for a reduced academic rate of $99. You will need to produce some form of proof, however at that price IDEA is a steal.

I use JCreatorLE. Its not as feature filled as the IDE's wushitwist mentioned, but its free and gets the job done. Its not at all bulky. Just another option. [morning] HavaTheJut

Forte isn't actually too bad. It's what I use....free from Sun.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back