Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Interface....Same cord multiple CD Drives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

multipleintell

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
I just recently installed a CDWR drive in my Compaq Presario. I used the same IDE cord that is hooked to my CD-Rom drive. Now I am getting a message when I try to burn a cd that my drives should be hooked up to separate IDE cords. It seems to burn fine and I've made atleast ten cd's since I installed it. Also, it says there is a Read and Write error....but burns the cd successfully.

I opened my computer up again to see if I could change the way things are plugged in but I cannot. I have two hard drives and they are on the same cord. I have only one slot left to plug in these CD drives...and I cannot plug a hard drive to a cd because the cords just don't stretch that far.

What are my best options? :cool:

Thanks
Melissa

If both CD's are on the same IDE cable (as yours are), then there is the <potential> for performance problems to cause bad burns.

One way to avoid them (if it is actually a problem - sounds like it isn't for you), is to split things so each IDE cable has one hard disk (set to Master) and one CD (set to Slave). This will improve CD copying but will slow down your disk access - not a good idea.

The alternative, if you really want to change things, is to buy an IDE controller card. If your Mobo is an old one, then a new card (with ATA66/100/133 support) with your hard disks running from it can seriously speed your disk access up. You can then use the two old IDE cables to run your CDs - on on each, set as Master. One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

ayjaycee NAILED it..... in my estimation; as I read your post, I thought I would post the information about a PROMISE ATA/100 controller.
> They are practically giving these away now.
You put your C: drive on the Controller (as master), and your D: drive / 2nd hard drive,,,,,,, and have the 2 system IDE slots for your CD-ROMS. Your burner will function much better.
BTW: What software are you using ? (for burning)
Roxio 5.0 & Nero are the number #1 & #2 CD-RW burning tools.

PROMISE CONTROLLER - ATA/100
* I like *
$23.00
PROMISE ULTRA100TX2 CONTROLLER CARD - OEM 2 Channel IDE Supports UDMA 33/66/100 - Model#: ULTRA100TX2
FedEx Saver Shipping $10.00

Something I dont' see mentioned here, which should be noted, is that you are installing the cdrw on the same cable as the original cdrom in a compaq computer. Check the jumpers on the cdrw and make sure they are set to Cable Select. Compaq uses this jumper format almost exclusively. Also, make sure that the cd-rom is still set to Cable Select.
hg

Thanks Jakespeare

I'll 2nd the recommendation of the Promise ATA/100 - works wonders for my old PII 233 :) - Really brings out the best in my new 7200 RPM disk s-) One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back