Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE HD cloned to SATA HD, but weird now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidmonkey

Technical User
Sep 25, 2004
SE
i'm using winXP and wanted to copy my old HD to my new SATA HD as it should be faster and is a bit bigger.

this is what i have done...

cloned (using ghost) my old 160 Gig HD to my new SATA HD
changed BIOS boot order to 1-SCSI 2-CD-ROM
the jumpers have been totally removed from both IDE HD's.

disk management shows SATA HD as healthy (system) and old 160 Gig HD as healthy (page file).

what does Page File mean?

Everything seems to boot fine (although a bit slower) BUT, i'm getting the following error 'Generic Host Process For win32 Services' and i've noticed my language bar isn't loading properly as i have to go in and remove it from the taskbar and add it again - then it works.

small issues, but i'm wondering if there will be more problems in the future.

plus, i'm not entirely trusting that my new HD has all files on it and is totally problem free. just a bit paranoid i guess.

thanx to everyone in advance!!!

Was the SATA drive in the machine (and visible to XP) before you cloned the drive? If not, are you sure machine is booting from the SATA drive? (XP needs drivers loaded for SATA drives..) - does it boot with IDE drives disconnected?

A repair reinstall (with just the SATA drive connected), might be worthwhile - (you'll need the SATA drivers on a floppy and press F6 near start of (re)install process).

i would like to thank everyone for their help, i really appreciate it.
in the end i decided to just have the SATA drive as another slave HD instead of the system drive.
Even after i cloned it and had the SATA as the system drive, there were still many small problems or rather differences with windows and i just didn't want to take the chance of any future major breakdowns.

another note, when the SATA was semi working, it did not seem any faster than my IDE HD.

either way, i am still enjoying my new 160 Gigs of space!!

happy new year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back