Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE harddrive (need data) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldisk2005

Technical User
Aug 3, 2005
US
All,
I have a person that had a desktop computer where the motherboard died. She ended up buying a laptop.

She needs the data off of the IDE harddrive and I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I bought a SATA/IDE to USB Adapter thinking that would do the trick if I connected that to the harddrive and then connected it to my laptop via the USB. I thought the new drive would simply show up and I would be able to get all data off, but that is just not the case. The site for this adapter is here:
I get some I/O error where it is saying the drive can't be accessed.

I also tried to connect the IDE harddrive to a PC desktop I have, which is my daughter's. When I connect it, the computer will not boot up, so I don't know what is the deal with that one.

Does anyone know a better way for me to get the data off of this harddrive?

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Probably the best way would be to connect it in place of the CD, if it is master on the secondary channel, like most are.

You probably can't boot because you're trying to connect the drive on the primary channel as master when there is already a master in the other position.

This is, of course, a SWAG.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair,
This has to be one of the MOST important responses I have EVER received. YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!

I hooked it to the CD connections and it worked like a charm!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH MY BROTHER!!!!

A STAR IS COMING YOUR WAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back