Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ide hard drive added to pc, not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiflygirl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
i have a 4GB SCSI HD already in the Dell Optiplex GXa, i just added an additional IDE HD. The IDE hard drive is not being recognized upon boot. I updated the BIOS to no avail, does anyone have any suggestions?

What does the boot order say in the BIOS? Is there a separate setting for IDE vs. SCSI anywhere?

Also, if you have more information about the SCSI controller/type that you're using, that would help us determine what settings you need.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Hi there...

Boot Device Order:
diskette drive A:
PXE
hard drive C:

Device Controller Priority:
Adapters with no ID support
System BIOS boot devices

there doesnt seem to be a section for IDE vs SCSI in the setup either.

The SCSI hd i am using is a Western Digital WDE4360 with an Adaptec AHA-294OU/294OUW/294OD PCI SCSI controller.

The IDE hd i am trying to add is a Quantum ProDrive XPS with an Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE controller.

thanks for your help, I am stumped at this point...

I SEE A FEW ISSUES HERE.
YOUR SCSI HARDWARE WILL ALWAYS TAKE PRIMARY-THE CARD BOOTS AT STARTUP
SO YOUR SCSI IS PRIMARY.
THE IDE DRIVE HAS TO BE SET TO EVEN THOUGH ITS ON IDE CHANNEL HAS TO BE SLAVED.
OTHERWISE THEY BOTH WILL TRY 2 BOOT .YOU CAN HAVE A DIFFERENT OS OR NT BUT SET TO SLAVE.
THATS THE EASY SOLUTION. THE HARDER 1 IS TO ENTER YOUR SCSI CONTROLLER BIOS-RESET THE SETTINGS ON BOOT SEQUENCE.
YOU KNOW THAT THESE 2 DRIVES CAN'T MIRROR OR SHARE VIRTUAL MEMORY-RIGHT? THEY WILL OPERATE INDEPENDENTLY.

This issue sound similar to one I encountered a couple days ago.

Tried to install a WDC 6.4gb hdd on an older system with a 1gb scsi drive. No idea on what motherboard or what scsi adapter is involved..but it is a 90mhz Pentium system with 32 mb SIMMS..installed the new hdd as a slave..on boot-up I get the SCSI screen and then a message that the OS (WIN98SE) is being loaded from the SCSI drive but then it stops booting..it looks like the computer is trying to load the OS from the SCSI drive but is then trying to run from the IDE drive which is empty. I couldn't get into the BIOS cuz there wasn't enough time to read the BIOS screen to see what key to push tho I tried using the DEL key. BIOS is American Megatrends.

Told my son he was long past due for an upgrade, but was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what the issue was that I was encountering and how to fix it if possible.

Thank you.

thread751-481452 contains some additional suggestions for bios access. Control-alt-enter if it's an old dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back