Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE drives not found during POST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halflin

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
Hi!

I don't know is this is a Hard drive issue or motherboard issue but here goes.

I'm having a problem getting my new 8RDA+ mb seeing my hard drive, cd-rom and cd-rw drives. I took these drives out of a working system just a few mins before so I know it's not the drives. The problem I'm having is that during POST it's taking 2 or more minutes to detect any of the drives. The mb will detect the HD after about 2 mins if I don't have the CD-rom or the cd-rw hooked up. If I have the CD-Rom hooked up the mb only sees it like half the time but it still takes 2 or more mins. If I have the cd-rw hooked up it just hangs there "detecting IDE drives". I've tried several things like plugging my hd ide cable into the ide-2 plug in, tried a different ide cable and it does the same thing. If anyone knows what else I can try please let me know.. The hard drive is a Western Digital 60gb. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Half

Are you putting either of the cd's on the same cable as the hard drive?

Western Digital's come from the factory with the jumper in 'single' mode. That's the way it needs to be if it's the only device on that cable, but if you put anything else on the cable, the WD should be set to master. Did you set it to master then not put anything else on that cable? If so, set it back to single.

Think single is pins 4 and 6...horizontally.
It'll also work without the jumper altogether.

Thanks gargouille, that sounds right. I didn't take the time to look it up.

Ok I'll try that.. I had it on master at first and it was taking the mb forever to see it so I changed it to cable select (CS) and it came up right away. But I'm still not able to get either my cd-rom or cd-rw drives when plugged to IDE-2. I've tried several things and I'm thinking that IDE-2 is bad. The reason I'm thinking this is that I set my cd-rom jumper to slave and plugged it to IDE-1 under my hard drive and it came up right away and is working properly. What you guys think? Does it sound like a RMA in the works?

Thanks so much!
Half

Try what we suggested. WD drives are great but they exhibit this type of confusing behavior if you don't follow the single/master rules.

If you've got your HD being detected now, hooking it to IDE2 (motherboard designation) the system should at least recognize it.
Could also be (old cable?) a bad IDE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back